The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Breeding siblings is generally negative.
I did it for a pair that I had, not realizing that the person I got the eggs from had also bred siblings together. There were no others to breed to or so I thought. I got a real mixup of genes. Good genes, bad genes, mediocre genes and everything inbetween. I got some offspring that were substantially bigger than either parent, substantially smaller than either parent, a few that didn't even resemble the breed and everything in between.
The rooster ended up inheriting a lethal gene from his parents that were siblings. He passed it on to several of his daughters and sons. The gene being that the majority of the chicks that he sired from being bred to his daughters ended up dying in the shell. For instance, one year I did a test breeding in breeding him back to a daughter. Out of thirty two fertile eggs, only four hatched, two of the chicks died before they were three days old, one lived to be four-ish months old and another one lived to be fourteen months old. I opened up the fourteen month old to see if there was something internal wrong with him. His liver and gizzard were twice as big as they should have been.
Generally if you need to breed close it's better to breed son to mother or daughter to father. If you do decide to breed siblings, only do it one generation.
Note: Not all chicken breeds have the lethal gene that I just described above, so don't get scared that just because you breed siblings that this is what is going to happen to you. I just shared my experience for your benefit.
Wow! Thats interesting. I had no idea. Thanks so much! Good to know because as of now i have 4 Japanese bantams, and 4 more about to hatch. Somewhere down the road i might consider selling and i wouldn’t want anything bad like deformities to happen.

That means she carries a silkie feather gene and because of that she is able to produce silkies when bred to a silkie.
She is a frizzle, a sizzle is a silkied frizzle.
Some of the confusion comes from people not understanding feather genetics, it's no big deal, if you don't know then you just don't know.
There was a time that I didn't know either, but with some experience in breeding it all came together.
Don't be discouraged at all, it's experience that you are getting and it's empowerment to you. Experiential knowledge is valuable and that's what you're getting.
Ok. That’s interesting, I just getting into learning genetics to breed better birds! That helps a lot! Thank you!

Sorry I have not posted here in the last three weeks or so.

I have a different Job now that takes most of my time. I find difficult navigating the site by phone. I am not sure how long I will be taking off. I will checkback every now and then. Please help out as much as you can. I know there are very capable memebers here that know alot of genetics. Also there is a small chance that I will be able to go back to the USA due to a special Humanitarian Parole so wish me luck on that one.

Sorry I have not posted here in the last three weeks or so.

I have a different Job now that takes most of my time. I find difficult navigating the site by phone. I am not sure how long I will be taking off. I will checkback every now and then. Please help out as much as you can. I know there are very capable memebers here that know alot of genetics. Also there is a small chance that I will be able to go back to the USA due to a special Humanitarian Parole so wish me luck on that one.
It's alright.

So I've recently come across the AA & their theory on using birchen/crowwing to produce blues with better lacing; This thread on the E-locus is super interesting to me, but I'm middling at best with avian genetics, so I'm not as positive about how exactly they are achieving the completely blue phenotype with silver-based crowwing and not extended black.
I'm interested to know more about how this works if anyone else knows!

I'm curious about why they don't recommend breeding BBS, which is generally been the advice and theory I've seen.

Sorry if you've answered this question a thousand times! A preliminary search didn't turn up much for me.

Updated pictures of my Rainbow Easter Egger Rooster. Curious at what causes this coloration? he's definitely not Splash. I know he's partially silver laced.
20230219_125505.jpg
20230219_125517.jpg
20230219_125546.jpg
20230219_125730.jpg
20230219_125740.jpg
It's an odd pattern, just couldn't get the full detail, it was very bright outside.

I'm curious about why they don't recommend breeding BBS, which is generally been the advice and theory I've seen.
From what I’ve seen off of ameraucana alliance, the best blacks tend to be E/E, and gold-based. They may also lack the proper pattern genes that cause lacing in blues. In comparison, the best blues may be E^R/E^R, but even if they are not they tend to be silver-based, which does not cross well with the gold gene of blacks. This doesn’t mean blacks and blues shouldn’t be bred together though; I think they were meaning to warn against crossing two unrelated lines(one blue line, one black line) as it may result in poor quality offspring. In a BBS line, where you may have a black and blue, they are logically okay to breed together to produce more blues as they have similar proper genes to produce nice quality offspring.
As for how they’re producing solid blue birds, a LOT of melanizing genes. E^R apparently requires more than Extended black to produce solid offspring. Leakage is prone to occur, in all lines of birds for that matter, but generally just a lot of genes to counteract leakage are required for a solid bird.

Back
Top Bottom