The Adventures of Mabel, Our Rescue Chicken

EHaag

Chirping
Jan 1, 2021
Hello! My name is Ellen.

Recently, over the last few weeks, a chicken has been visiting my backyard. I figured she was a free range chicken and went back to her coop at night. I ended up following her one night and found out she was living in a downed tree behind my fence. I started giving her food and water while I figured out what to do. After a lot of research, I decided to rescue her and build her a large coop and fenced in yard space along with adopting a few other chickens for her flock.

On Christmas day, I found her stuck in a foot of snow after a terrible snowstorm. I built her a temporary shack out of 2x4s & 1/2 inch hardware cloth, went to Rural King for 16% crumble and bedding and got to work. We’ve built a 40 sq foot coop and run for the chickens, plenty of ventilation & 2 staggered roosts, one higher one lower - and she’s been roosting every night! - and she is currently the only one inside. The coop part has a nesting box and a hatch side that opens for cleaning and collecting eggs and has wood shavings for bedding: The run has a gate to let her into the fenced in yard. The run and ventilation is all covered in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. She’s been active during the day and seems really content! We will be getting the others in a few days so she can have a flock!!

Her name is Mabel. She is sweet, friendly, and extremely talkative. I’ve been told she is an Easter Egger or a mix.

I plan on adding oyster shells into her diet and a dust bath into the run.

Her new flock family will be here tomorrow. Pictures and stories of them to follow.

Here’s a picture of her! (hard to see the hardware cloth because I took the photo in portrait mode).

Follow along for stories of the progress of her and her flock!
57E1A9BC-A236-4305-9AB4-A99FF969D2F0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom