Thank You Slystr For This Simple Tractor Design

edbama2

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
Slocomb, Alabama
Well this is my 100th post and feel it needed something extra. Slystr has come up with a quick and easy hoop tractor. It is very easy to build and could have other add ons in time. What I started with was 3 1x4x10's pressure treated
7 1/2" x 10' pvc schedule 40
5 packs of 1/2" 2 hole rigid strap
I had screws at home so did not need to purchase. Total cost so far is right at $25. Cut one of the boards in half. Those will be your short sides and the other 2 your long sides.
HPIM1439.jpg
Screw the boards together to frame out the rectangle. I used one screw on top and one on the bottom. The one in the middle is what went through the rigid strap and helped strengthen the frame. Do this at each end.
HPIM1440.jpg
Measure the side boards and split the distance so that each bent pvc looks uniform.
HPIM1441.jpg
HPIM1442.jpg
HPIM1443.jpg
All of this took a half of an hour to get to this point. Like in the heading, Thank Slystr for this simple and easy low budget design. She is a plus to our forum. Will post more as it progresses and give time reports. Last picture has some bowing out on the sides so an extra board will need to be put in the middle or upgrade to 2x4's for more support and weight.

Last edited:
Very nice. Thanks for posting. I may try that this weekend. I have some eggs in the bator and will need some additional space. Could this be used as a coop? Or would it be safe enough? You could cover it with chicken wire and then a heavy duty tarp on one end to cover nest boxes and roost area. Then the other end could have an opening like a door so you could get them in and out.??? Just a suggestion. What do you think. I am going to have several breeds and want to keep them seperated from each other but let them out to free range some too. I could keep them in here when they were not out and they could stll be moved around to have fresh grass??? Just thinking out loud, sorry. keep us posted.

Marie

I am using mine as a coop. See the post that begins with GAH to see how I set it up as my coop/tractor. I live in a city(Dallas) and have a fully fenced backyard. I expect some visitors, 'possums, cats, perhaps 'coons but nothing too extensive.

Either way, it does not take away from the quick easy design that you have! When the lil chics start flying out of the brooder it would be nice if everyone knew you had the cheapest, quickest way to accomidate. I knew it when I saw it.
wee.gif

Sly

What part of Dallas are you in?

Also for and eaiser pipe to use instead of sch 40 PVC look for PEX Pipe. It is tons more flexable and wont degenerate the way PVC will. You could also use 3/4 or 1 inch black poly tubing.

Very nice tractor by the way.

Back
Top Bottom