Théo and the chickens des Sauches

This photo would make a great jigsaw puzzle.
What’s wrong with a jigsaw 🧩 of a painting?
: Who’s Afraid of Red, Yellow, and Blue III by Barnett Newman.
who-s-afraid-of-red-yellow-and-blue-iii-1.jpg

I got a colourfull present from my daughter. For no reason, except that she saw this biscuit tin in a second hand shop. :love
IMG_3261.jpeg

My kids do like climbing (both boulder / rope). My son even has a permit to teach.
It’s my own doing. I took him up on a climbing event in the trees when he was a teenager and he loved it.
That is terrific! Did he ever actually teach?
You should be really happy you introduced them to something he loved doing so much. It's a wonderful gift when your parents allow you to discover a passion.
I think @GregnLety 's daughter teaches climbing for a living.
I did a bit of bouldering but I preferred cliffs and most of all multi pitch routes in the mountains.
It didn't always go smoothly for me but when it did climbing is the one sport and probably the one thing in my life that brought me the most joy. It's an incredible activity.
DSC00116.jpg
Funny photo to cheer you: Amadeo trying to escape the clutches of the peruvian raspberry (with yet more St John's wort at the back)
View attachment 3605191
It's a great photo! Amadeo’s comb is the same colour as the berries! It needs to be submitted in one of the contest. Chickens and plants maybe ? 🤣
I once saw a photo of a chicken soaking in a plastic box with its lid on and someone had cut a hole in the lid for the chicken to get her head out. Might be a handy way of doing it?
T
This sort of box

View attachment 3605388
I remember that, @no fly zone who posted it on Shadrach's thread when he was treating Skye I think. So, the chickens yesterday didn't move at all in the bath. But today, it could have been helpful. I’ll think about it depending on how things go from here. I have several of these boxes, I put my starters in those so they acted as a small greenhouse.

The chickens have worms, maybe also coccidies, mites are coming back in the coop with the heat, and now we have bumblefoot. Seems like it's really not going well for the flock. Let's hope they pull through, and we can do things to help get this under control. The combination of mites and bumblefoot is really a problem, because one of the things I would have wanted to do is to pad the roosts and the ramp with gym mats, but i’m afraid the mites will just love it.

Yesterday evening I witnessed and stopped a hen fight. This has been a rare occurrence in my flock ; only Chipie and Piou-piou are the kind to pick fights. Anyway Piou-piou was going to roost when she encountered Kara. Both started taking broody attitudes ( so I thought). Hackles and feathers raised and broody screams. I was taking pictures thinking it was pretty funny when they threw themselves at each other. It looked like it was going to be a fight to draw blood...but I didn't let them, I carried Piou-piou away. When I told my partner, he said I should have let them sort it out ; but Piou-piou is half naked with bare skin and i’m maybe too afraid she’ll get opened up again.
There was a lot of screaming and pecking at roost time ; it had been going smoothly for a while, but now the two leghorns and the two cross Marans are really being picked on by the senior hens.

This morning Petit Blanc attempted to mate Piou-piou against her will and was successful, as far as I could tell. Then there was a raptor scare and the young ones threw themselves from above in the netting to go inside, but some are too big now and got stuck. Then they all stayed hidden together inside the chicken yard, even Piou-piou. Now she wants to stay with the rest of the flock, and to get herself back in the pecking order.
I’ve began deworming just her today, on a five days Flubendazole course. She’s pooping a huge number of live tapeworm segments now and while she is not acting sick, she’s a small hen and hasn't much weight to lose. I have to think about whether I treat the rest of the flock as well. I’m certain one, maybe two other chickens have tapeworm segments in their poops, but I still don't know which.
I’m thinking maybe I could use Flubendazole a routine dewormer for the flock every six months or less if there are no signs of infestation and treat with Praziquantel individual chickens when I see tapeworm segments in their poop, but i’m not sure that is a good strategy.

And this morning after finishing garden chores I treated Alba for bumblefeet, the most docile of the leghorns. It was worse than I expected 🤣. It only took a few minutes to catch her. I had set everything outside because I don't want to stay in the house for too long when i’m alone in case of a raptor attack. She struggled like crazy when I put her in the basin. I wrapped her in a towel and she managed to escape and the towel sank in the water. Caught her back a second time and wrapped her again and tied her legs slightly together with vet wraps. She stood for a few minutes and when I handed her the sunflower seed pot she escaped again, tumbling the sunflowers in the basin and the drenched towel on me. She had easily untied the vet wrap around her legs. So the last time I wrapped her more tightly, tied her legs and held her tight for the whole 15 minutes. Bandaging her after that actually went better- I put her on me crop on my knees and holding her legs back, and she didn't move, but I was so stressed by then I forgot to put the sugardine before applying the corn dressing on the first foot.
After that I let her go next to me and tried to give her treats for a few minutes but she was too panicked. She didn't even follow me into the chicken yard , which she normally does, but threw herself in the netting and then somehow extracted herself out and flew over.
Strange enough when I came inside the chicken yard and gave chard and kale to the rest of the flock, she came around quite near. I’m wondering if it would be best to do this in the chicken yard, though it would be difficult as it's so steep.

I don't know how i’ll manage to do Nieva, who’s even more scared.

Finally I forgot to say I saw something very impressive yesterday morning. Just above the garden two bald eagles attacked each other. There was a collision, then they separated, and two crows chased one of them away!
I wonder what it was.
I miss my friend Pascal who was a naturalist and studied birds. I used to ask him all the time when we saw things we didn't understand. When he came here he made the scops owl come in our cherry tree imitating his call. He died in a shipwreck between Principe and Sao Tome three years ago.

Angry ladies, Piou-piou and Kara.
IMG_20230810_193737.jpg
IMG_20230810_193802.jpg
IMG_20230810_193809.jpg
IMG_20230810_193814.jpg

IMG_20230811_085237.jpg
IMG_20230811_092959.jpg
IMG_20230811_093007.jpg
IMG_20230811_093126.jpg
IMG_20230811_093137.jpg

Panicked burrito
IMG_20230811_103122.jpg
IMG_20230811_105432.jpg
IMG_20230811_105443.jpg
IMG_20230811_131345.jpg
IMG_20230811_131427.jpg
IMG_20230811_131450.jpg

Thirsty..where is the water?
IMG_20230811_132719.jpg
IMG_20230811_132754.jpg
IMG_20230811_142730.jpg
IMG_20230811_152025.jpg
IMG_20230811_152542.jpg
IMG_20230811_152724.jpg

You should be really happy you introduced them to something he loved doing so much. It's a wonderful gift when your parents allow you to discover a passion.
I did a bit of bouldering but I preferred cliffs and most of all multi pitch routes in the mountains.
It didn't always go smoothly for me but when it did climbing is the one sport and probably the one thing in my life that brought me the most joy. It's an incredible activity.

It's a great photo! Amadeo’s comb is the same colour as the berries! It needs to be submitted in one of the contest. Chickens and plants maybe ? 🤣

I remember that, @no fly zone who posted it on Shadrach's thread when he was treating Skye I think. So, the chickens yesterday didn't move at all in the bath. But today, it could have been helpful. I’ll think about it depending on how things go from here. I have several of these boxes, I put my starters in those so they acted as a small greenhouse.

The chickens have worms, maybe also coccidies, mites are coming back in the coop with the heat, and now we have bumblefoot. Seems like it's really not going well for the flock. Let's hope they pull through, and we can do things to help get this under control. The combination of mites and bumblefoot is really a problem, because one of the things I would have wanted to do is to pad the roosts and the ramp with gym mats, but i’m afraid the mites will just love it.

Yesterday evening I witnessed and stopped a hen fight. This has been a rare occurrence in my flock ; only Chipie and Piou-piou are the kind to pick fights. Anyway Piou-piou was going to roost when she encountered Kara. Both started taking broody attitudes ( so I thought). Hackles and feathers raised and broody screams. I was taking pictures thinking it was pretty funny when they threw themselves at each other. It looked like it was going to be a fight to draw blood...but I didn't let them, I carried Piou-piou away. When I told my partner, he said I should have let them sort it out ; but Piou-piou is half naked with bare skin and i’m maybe too afraid she’ll get opened up again.
There was a lot of screaming and pecking at roost time ; it had been going smoothly for a while, but now the two leghorns and the two cross Marans are really being picked on by the senior hens.

This morning Petit Blanc attempted to mate Piou-piou against her will and was successful, as far as I could tell. Then there was a raptor scare and the young ones threw themselves from above in the netting to go inside, but some are too big now and got stuck. Then they all stayed hidden together inside the chicken yard, even Piou-piou. Now she wants to stay with the rest of the flock, and to get herself back in the pecking order.
I’ve began deworming just her today, on a five days Flubendazole course. She’s pooping a huge number of live tapeworm segments now and while she is not acting sick, she’s a small hen and hasn't much weight to lose. I have to think about whether I treat the rest of the flock as well. I’m certain one, maybe two other chickens have tapeworm segments in their poops, but I still don't know which.
I’m thinking maybe I could use Flubendazole a routine dewormer for the flock every six months or less if there are no signs of infestation and treat with Praziquantel individual chickens when I see tapeworm segments in their poop, but i’m not sure that is a good strategy.

And this morning after finishing garden chores I treated Alba for bumblefeet, the most docile of the leghorns. It was worse than I expected 🤣. It only took a few minutes to catch her. I had set everything outside because I don't want to stay in the house for too long when i’m alone in case of a raptor attack. She struggled like crazy when I put her in the basin. I wrapped her in a towel and she managed to escape and the towel sank in the water. Caught her back a second time and wrapped her again and tied her legs slightly together with vet wraps. She stood for a few minutes and when I handed her the sunflower seed pot she escaped again, tumbling the sunflowers in the basin and the drenched towel on me. She had easily untied the vet wrap around her legs. So the last time I wrapped her more tightly, tied her legs and held her tight for the whole 15 minutes. Bandaging her after that actually went better- I put her on me crop on my knees and holding her legs back, and she didn't move, but I was so stressed by then I forgot to put the sugardine before applying the corn dressing on the first foot.
After that I let her go next to me and tried to give her treats for a few minutes but she was too panicked. She didn't even follow me into the chicken yard , which she normally does, but threw herself in the netting and then somehow extracted herself out and flew over.
Strange enough when I came inside the chicken yard and gave chard and kale to the rest of the flock, she came around quite near. I’m wondering if it would be best to do this in the chicken yard, though it would be difficult as it's so steep.

Finally I forgot to say I saw something very impressive yesterday morning. Just above the garden two bald eagles attacked each other. There was a collision, then they separated, and two crows chased one of them away!
I wonder what it was.
I miss my friend Pascal who was a naturalist and studied birds. I used to ask him all the time when we saw things we didn't understand. When he came here he made the scops owl come in our cherry tree imitating his call. He died in a shipwreck between Principe and Sao Tome three years ago.

View attachment 3605978View attachment 3605979View attachment 3605981View attachment 3605982
View attachment 3605984View attachment 3605986View attachment 3605987View attachment 3605990View attachment 3605991
Panicked burrito
View attachment 3605993View attachment 3605997View attachment 3605998View attachment 3606000View attachment 3606001View attachment 3606002
View attachment 3606003View attachment 3606004View attachment 3606005View attachment 3606006View attachment 3606007View attachment 3606008
So sorry you lost your friend. So sad

I know with Coccidia some level of infestation is normal and OK - it is only when it gets out of hand that the chicken gets sick and has coccidiosis.
I am wondering if that is the same with worms I which case seeing worms may not be a disaster and you can focus on bumble foot.

I don’t see how it is possible for a free range flock to be completely worm free - they will get new worms as soon as you have finished treating.

I am going to read up a bit about this - but maybe someone else in here with more experience knows about this?

So sorry you lost your friend. So sad

I know with Coccidia some level of infestation is normal and OK - it is only when it gets out of hand that the chicken gets sick and has coccidiosis.
I am wondering if that is the same with worms I which case seeing worms may not be a disaster and you can focus on bumble foot.

I don’t see how it is possible for a free range flock to be completely worm free - they will get new worms as soon as you have finished treating.

I am going to read up a bit about this - but maybe someone else in here with more experience knows about this?
that is my understanding too; low level background worms and coccidia that the chickens' immune systems can deal with unless and until they get ill with something else, in which case they can be overrun with these ordinarily not problematic parasites.

that is my understanding too; low level background worms and coccidia that the chickens' immune systems can deal with unless and until they get ill with something else, in which case they can be overrun with these ordinarily not problematic parasites.
That makes sense to me.
So I think @ManueB can focus on Bumblefoot unless any chicken is poorly (I know some are) in which case coccidia and worms take priority at least for that individual.
Does that sound right?

I don't know about coccidia. For the worms, I agree. I don't treat them anymore when I see a few round worms.
For the tape worms it's a bit different and I wish I could do a fecal test but apparently it's much more complicated here than in the US. Not all species seem to cause the same harm. The first time I treated the whole flock was because they were all pooping moving rice grains. It has happened again that I saw a few, but it didn't last. This time it's only Piou-piou and one or two other, but Piou-piou has taken it to another level. Her poops are moving on their own now 🤣. More seriously, I see about ten live segments in each of her poop, and in every single poop. So I do think it looks like overload.
I will certainly withhold treatment for the others unless I see a health issue. I was wondering how to handle this on the long term ; like you say, they will just get both type of worms again and again.

I wonder what it was.

View attachment 3605978View attachment 3605979View attachment 3605981View attachment 3605982
View attachment 3605984View attachment 3605986View attachment 3605987View attachment 3605990View attachment 3605991
Panicked burrito
View attachment 3605993View attachment 3605997View attachment 3605998View attachment 3606000View attachment 3606001View attachment 3606002
View attachment 3606003View attachment 3606004View attachment 3606005View attachment 3606006View attachment 3606007View attachment 3606008
20220413_151250.jpg

it was Laserbeak

Back
Top Bottom