Teaching geese to accept a new person?

HorsechickCC

Songster
6 Years
Jul 7, 2017
BC
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on getting a small flock to accept new people? I suppose this is the worst time of year to even attempt, but my flock of 2 ganders and 2 geese are incredibly particular and pretty much only let myself, my husband and my dad in their yard (they're mostly imprinted on me and have been around my husband and dad as well since they were babies. They're 2 and 3 years old this spring). This makes vacationing very difficult, as my dad is pretty much the only person I can have stay at my farm and babysit because of the geese! Any tips will be greatly appreciated!!

My geese would probably be afraid of anyone new coming into their space. What do you want the new people to be doing feeding watering closing up for the night? My gander is a handful right now because of breeding season so I am not sure how he would accept anyone right now.? I never go off and leave them in anyone’s care since I have no one that will keep them.

My geese would probably be afraid of anyone new coming into their space. What do you want the new people to be doing feeding watering closing up for the night? My gander is a handful right now because of breeding season so I am not sure how he would accept anyone right now.? I never go off and leave them in anyone’s care since I have no one that will keep them.

Yes, I basically need to be able to have someone go in and let them out of their house in the morning, clean their house up, feed, put them in at night, etc. Without being attacked LOL.
Anytime I have tried bringing a new person around, my one gander in particular gets rather nasty and aggressive. Even from the other side of their fence. I realize this is their watchful and protective nature. Mostly all year round they are sweet as pie with me of course though.

Will this be someone you know well? You could always have them come over some before you leave and go in with you while you do chores or let them do chores while you watch. The person or persons could carry a long pole or bucket to keep between them and the gander I even have to do this with my own gander. He is so hateful this time of year.

It would definitely be a person that I know well, they are my babies, so I have to really trust someone to take care of them :) That's a good idea though, I will have to try this with the person having some kind of protection object to prevent any nasty behavior!

I have had my gander since he hatched here almost 12 yrs April 27 and he knows I care for him and love him but during breeding season he just can’t help but want to bite me so I carry an old mop handle around I put it between him and me to make him keep his distance. I can tell when he is wanting to cause trouble. I used it to teach the geese to respect the dogs space to they can be such bullies. Let me know how it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom