Tame-Wild Chicks now 18 Months Old

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
As fast as I can type
Tooshtoosh abandoned his clutch of five chicks mid-last-winter. That was 8 months ago. We have lost one chick. The remaining four are of interest to us because it's the first time ever we've observed a 'clutch' -- we didn't know that abandoned chicks stay a clutch -- in their second year of development.

So, brief: they're big and sassy. Just a few pounds under full adult weight. No white 'ruff' of feathers around their necks yet.

Two are now making boy emu noises, one more than the other. The chick seems happy to just walk about making boy-emu noises.

Now here's my bit of theory:

you read about emu-farm emus mating at early ages. Well, okay. But my theory is that there is a significant gap between a wild emu being physically mature, and an emu being socially mature.

Here's the math: emus start forming breeding-pairs around late summer/early autumn. Now, let's consider Emu X. In her/his second year, X will be about 17 months old when breeding season begins (forming-pairs season). So in order to secure a partner, X will need to go mano a mano with fully-grown birds, and that just isn't gonna happen. We have observed some feisty females over the years: LimpyChick, Felicity, Number One. Only a 17-month-old with rocks in its head would throw its hat in the ring with the legendary Greedy the Emu. I've seen her single-handedly attack a dozen wild birds at a time.

And we also know that several of the Planet Rothschildi birds have not bread until their third or fourth year. Felicity spent several years in exile here (until Greedy left).

So that's the theory: perhaps wild emus are physically able to breed at 24 months old -- that's their third spring, coming into their third year -- but they are not powerful enough to secure a partner until late summer of that third year.

Supreme Emu

PS They're eating my compost! I had a barrow of 'soil' happening along in an old barrow by the house: soggy straw and balls of sheep poo and lots of insects. And the chicks have been systematically eating it!! They've eaten almost a ten-litre bucket of it. Bad chicks! Evil chicks!

Do you keep these Emus as pets??? I have no idea what their uses/purpose are?? Of course I do realize that they can be as food animal.... but other than that??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Do you keep these Emus as pets??? I have no idea what their uses/purpose are?? Of course I do realize that they can be as food animal.... but other than that??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
These emus are wild. Tame, but wild. For 5,000 days, I've been quietly observing wild emus across an observation area around the old farmhouse I live in.
So the fun here is that the members of the family I've been observing have no idea that my house is my house. They live in the vast Australian bush, and that bush comes literally up to my garden bench.

Supreme Emu

This is the legendary Eric with his last clutch. So, my post above mentions 'Tooshtoosh,' the Dad of the clutch we're presently obsserving. Well, Tooshtoosh is one of the nine chicks in this photo. So Eric is the grandad of the chicks here today.
I don't think anyone has done an intergenerational study of emus

The crows are in the top of the fig tree, so figs for people soon.
See the wild chick? It was here with its Dad -- clutch of one.

It has sandy plumage, and seems less of a 'fuzz ball' than most chicks of its age.

Really really pleasant observations at this time of year. Cool. Sit with a book under the plum tree. Tooshtoosh's chicks are around, so wild birds are less spooked by me. You just sit quietly and read, and watch.

SE

Back
Top Bottom