Second-Season Chicks: a Report

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
We have never had a chance to observe a clutch of chicks in its second year – long story.

Here’s a brief time-line:

first, after Dad left the clutch – mid-winter – we learned that clutches stay together after Dad leaves.

Some time later, we figured out that certain groups of emus I had seen, in spring, over years, were likely abandoned clutches. Such chicks – up to about 15 months of age at this point – seem at first glance to be adults. But observations showed that these apparently ‘adult’ emus were just a little underweight, and still had remnants of juvenile plumage on their upper necks.

By now, it’s summer – the 16/17/18-month period. The four chicks of Tooshtoosh’s clutch were still turning up together at dawn – so they were still roosting as a clutch – and still exhibiting that desire to be a clutch: moving as a group, not fighting.

And so far, no vocalisations.

And although still pounds underweight, full adult plumage.

But things got interesting in the 19th and 20th months – autumn of their second year. First I heard quiet and raggedy calls. Then – although it was first light, so I couldn’t tell who was who – quite distinguishable male and then female calls.

And the clutch was definitely splitting up. One chick seemed to sort of ‘attach and detach’ over the days. And they stopped, I think, regularly roosting together as a clutch at night.

Then they started beating each other up!

And we now see them as ‘post chick,’ although socially they remain a long way from mature. (The post-chick females, for instance, won’t be going into the ring with full-grown females until mid next year or a bit later, by which time they’ll be over two and a half.)

And that’s the Report! Over 13 years, this period of emu development has been unknown to me.

And here is a little treat:
I pulled this baby kangaroo from a fence; carried it a mile home; bandaged it; and kept it overnight. The following morning it was gathering its wits -- still unsteady on its feet -- when Tooshtoosh's sister Limpy Chick cruised up. You can see that the poor critter is overwhelmed by it all (don't forget I am there with the camera). But even though Limpy Chick is way way larger, the joey was prepared to stand its ground.

About five minutes later, it bolted off to the scrub. The bandage will fall off. It should suffer no long-term consequences.

SE

Back
Top Bottom