Sudden lameness, obvious distress

It can be common when they are having egg related problems to feel weak and listless. But if she becomes dehydrated, it won’t help. I add water to any eggs or feed, just to get fluids into them. Poultry NutriDrench is sometimes given for a quick boost. Dosage is 1-2 ml daily. Is your vet an exotic, avian, or regular vet familiar with chickens? Let us know what they do today.
Yes, he's an avian vet and has seen our chickens for some time now. He's very knowledgeable and he's saved our chickens lives multiple times, but he is usually basing diagnosis on what he generally sees of chickens in the area (hence he was thinking most conservatively, it's an injury- she didn't lay an egg until after she saw the vet). We ran out of Nutridrench on the last chicken illness, kicking myself I didn't have some on hand for this - I have ordered more. Vet just called back and still can't see us until this afternoon, so I'm going to give her meloxicam and emeraid/probiotics/b12 now.

Update: I am convinced this is an egg/reproductive issue, perhaps with the shell gland as @Eggcessive suggested. She just got up and walked into the corner to brace herself and pushed out another extremely thin-shelled, bordering on no shell, egg.

Glad that she laid the egg. Repeat the calcium every 24 hours for several days until she is improves.

B12 alone is not that valuable for chickens. Some people mistakenly think that B12 has 12 different B vitamins, but only has B12 (Colbalamin.) Much better is human B complex. It has all B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin good for chicken leg problems, niacin for duck deficiency, B12, and the others including vitamin C. I get the super B with extra thiamine, but the regular B complex is fine. Any excess is excreted from the body. Vitamin E is good to have around for neurologic problems and wry neck. I would always keep those, and some calcium citrate with D3 around.

Glad that she laid the egg. Repeat the calcium every 24 hours for several days until she is improves.

B12 alone is not that valuable for chickens. Some people mistakenly think that B12 has 12 different B vitamins, but only has B12 (Colbalamin.) Much better is human B complex. It has all B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin good for chicken leg problems, niacin for duck deficiency, B12, and the others including vitamin C. I get the super B with extra thiamine, but the regular B complex is fine. Any excess is excreted from the body. Vitamin E is good to have around for neurologic problems and wry neck. I would always keep those, and some calcium citrate with D3 around.
Ah, no, I just give the B12 for energy support. I'll ask the vet about B complex - I've only had it (for myself) in a tablet form - have you found a liquid or capsule or do you crush yours up?

I use 1/4 to 1/2 tablet and crush it in a bit of food, egg, or water. The one in the vitamin aisle any brand is fine, and affordable. Also the feed stores have a liquid injectable that can be given orally.

Update: after 2nd vet visit, he agrees there is something going on with her reproductive tract. He took blood for a cbc to check for infection and inflammation (I think inflammation is a given) and gave her more fluids. Going back today for fluids.

Glad that you have access to vet care. Calcium with vitamin d is very helpful while having these shell problems with the oviduct. Let us know how she gets along.

Glad that you have access to vet care. Calcium with vitamin d is very helpful while having these shell problems with the oviduct. Let us know how she gets along.
Whatever the issue is, it's happening while the egg is coming down the pike. When she's actually ready to lay, she isn't having issues. He did an internal palpation and said the area where the egg shell was stuck last time has scarred over, and there may be a nodule or polyp there, but that shouldn't be causing her pain and it doesn't fit with when she's in distress. I was worried there may be some infection issue higher up. Unfortunately, even if she has an infection, the vets here are pretty limited in what they can prescribe :( Dang USDA.. Hoping that by keeping her inside for a bit and decreasing the time there is light in the room will help her stop laying.. The girls outside have decided its spring in Florida- one of my girls has been laying for the last month+, and two of them laid their first eggs this week, aside from Pepper.
I'm also immensely grateful we found this vet fairly early on. Most vets here that see avians will no longer see chickens because of avian flu fears.

CBC came back indicating she is is fighting off something, her calcium levels are normal, protein levels are higher indicating inflammation. Vet thinks she's immunocompromised because of the crypto in the flock. Added sulfatrim and gabapentin to the meloxicam. She seems to be in less pain but should have passed a third egg yesterday morning and hasn't yet. She is wanting to roost but is unsteady, she's sleeping a lot. May skip the gapapentin tonight, apparently it can make them sleepy and then not eat enough. Going to go get her some live prey items now to help stimulate her appetite.

Back
Top Bottom