Stringy, watery pooh - pls help

LMRB

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
IMG_4032.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg
Hi. Please see attached photos. Stringy poop from my 3 year old barred rock. She is lethargic and not eating, not even meal worms (she’d sell her granny for them normally) She is drinking water. I have felt her crop and it seems empty. When I first saw the poo I thought an egg had broken inside her. I stuck my finger in and there was nothing there. She had just laid an egg. She looks miserable (don’t tell the other two, but she’s my favorite). Laura.
P.s. her floppy comb is normal - it flopped two years ago.

Try isolating her and see if she has any normal poop. It could be cocci, worms, or she may have drunk too much water. Hard to tell. Has she been wormed recently? Usually, if I see multiple watery white poops like that, I'll treat with a round of Corid for cocci, or Valbazen for worms. Do you have a state animal lab, or farm vet near you that can do a fecal float? It's an option, although I normally default to treatment because it's not harmful with either medication.

If you do go the corid route, I always prefer to direct dose them with an oral syringe. That way, I know they are getting the proper amount of medication. Mixing with the water supply always seemed odd to me because generally a sick chicken isn't eating and drinking normally. Even if they are, they might not be getting the proper amount. I have compiled a Google doc with all the medication and dosing instructions if you'd like.

If you do go the corid route, I always prefer to direct dose them with an oral syringe. That way, I know they are getting the proper amount of medication. Mixing with the water supply always seemed odd to me because generally a sick chicken isn't eating and drinking normally. Even if they are, they might not be getting the proper amount. I have compiled a Google doc with all the medication and dosing instructions if you'd like.
Thank you so much for your prompt advice. She has been isolated. I would really appreciate your instruction document. I’m relatively new to chicken keeping. Laura

Back
Top Bottom