Spring Hill Florida - help?

kidcallous

Chirping
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Central Florida
I've been lurking about, reading and researching, and finally joined the forum to ask my question. I do not currently own chickens, but am simply chomping at the bit to have a few. I am thisclose to convincing my husband, but I am trying to make sure that it's lawful in my county/city to keep them. I have about 1/2 acre, with a huge backyard. It would be perfect.. free organic eggs, cute little plucky girls greeting me when I get home from work.... I WANT!

The only problem is that I can't find any information on the Hernando county website specifically about keeping chickens/livestock. I looked on the Zoning website, under "Animal Control" and there is nothing about chickens. I can call the county but it's Friday night and i want to know now! (Veruca Salt attitude going on...she wanted a goose, but close enough..)

Anyone from Spring Hill, FL know about any zoning restrictions in a residential area (NOT a deed restricted community - just a regular spring hill neighborhood).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Also, anyone have experience with bringing chickens into the picture where 2 family dogs are involved? Do the dogs 'get it' or will they torment the chickens through the pen?

Great site, and hopefully I will be posting soon about how I got some chickens.....
smile.png

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Thanks! I was searching for "Chicken" - that's the newbie in me.

It looks like I'm good to go, but they make everything so convoluded, who really knows? I think I'll go for it. Now the next step: Buying or making the coop and run.. Oh boy!

We live in Spring Hill Fl. Found out the hard way that you must have a permit. $125.00 for five yer permit. Only four hens and you have to get any neighbors to sign that their ok with it. If you live in the city limits. All of Spring Hill city limit is a deed restricted area. All it takes is one unhappy neighbor
1f61f.png

Thanks! I was searching for "Chicken" - that's the newbie in me.

It looks like I'm good to go, but they make everything so convoluded, who really knows? I think I'll go for it. Now the next step: Buying or making the coop and run.. Oh boy!
Where you allowed to have the chickens there?

Back
Top Bottom