What could’ve killed my chickens

Justreas4

Hatching
Jul 2, 2023
woke up this morning to 3 piles of feathers. As I went to go see what was going on, there was one dead adult hen and 2 meat birds laying besides the piles of feathers. The hen had her head torn off and the meat birds were whole.

I checked on the other chickens and 4 meat birds have vanished with no trace. The other 7 hens I have are fine, they don’t even seem scared and 2 are a momma with her 2 week old baby, fine.

I am confused by what could’ve done this. What would’ve carried off 4 chickens and killed 3 more? Any help is appreciated so I know how to fix this issue.

It was outside of the coop. I was gone all day yesterday until midnight and forgot to lock up so it could’ve happened during the day or night unfortunately.

Location?

Missing heads lean towards raccoons and skunks.

I would lean towards raccoons. Dog proof traps for them.

I have had a couple of stone cold who-dun-its over the years though.

Missing bodies with no feathers may be the remaining ambulatory ones wigged out and ran off. They may show back up once they get their wits about them. Had that happen too.

Good luck and all the best.

Location?

Missing heads lean towards raccoons and skunks.

I would lean towards raccoons. Dog proof traps for them.

I have had a couple of stone cold who-dun-its over the years though.

Missing bodies with no feathers may be the remaining ambulatory ones wigged out and ran off. They may show back up once they get their wits about them. Had that happen too.

Good luck and all the best.
Oh I hope so. I feel so bad. So do you think skunks would kill a bunch like that too? We are in Ohio and have had 2 chickens lost to a hawk a couple years ago as well but not 7, that’s extreme.

Raccoon at times run in packs also.Game camera will help, also lock them up before dark. A good chance whatever it was will be back.

My flocks been attacked twice in 3 yrs,both times in the middle of the day(free ranging).1st time I didn't lose any(one got a broke leg in the attack). The 2nd time I lost 2 pullets so none of them go near the woods anymore.They all stay close to the coop and run(some won't even leave the run).Sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom