Spike’s last day

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Today we were working the rebuild of our coop. Our very MEAN rooster, Spike was, terrorizing us. I typically carry a stick when I go in to change water and add feed, lock up, etc. my husband has gotten hit with his spurs many times..even causing him to bleed under his jeans! Anyways...Spike does have a great crow! He’s a very proud rooster and likes to announce his presence. I don’t mind that...I love my farm sounds, quacks, bleats, snorts, honks, etc...So..as we were working today Spike was really giving my husband rough time. Everywhere Chris would move the ladder..Spike would go at him....every pop of the nail gun...same thing. I said we should put him in a cage. Chris just laughed. When we got Spike..he was already an adult rooster. It took two guys and a metal sheet to protect them, to get him in the cage that time!! So, there really was no way to do it again. You see...Spike’s days were already numbered. We have three beautiful cockerels..with great dispositions..and I want to keep two for my girls. Well..today was the day. I went and grabbed a hammer! He wasn’t going to make it easy, and the chase was on! I missed a few times..and hit him on the back once and dazed him..really didn’t mean to do that. :(. But, it put him in the corner, and we’ll..I was able to grab him...and...you know. After that...I took him over to let him hang for the blood to drain and plucked him. Then, I actually gutted him....what an experience. But, I’m glad I Did it...I needed to, since I was the one who put him down..I needed to see it through. He was a good rooster for our hens..he took good care of them, and no harm ever came to them. But, I will not miss him. These are some pictures. The one is Spike in mid-air going after my hubby, he got him through the jeans again that day.
E3F8D95F-E449-4927-AD5C-5B054D8487F9.jpeg
8E9E72EE-3FAA-4802-A68F-A4404B0BADCA.jpeg
E7E15108-45A5-4612-B41D-270DBBD7C5FA.jpeg
CE6420D5-14A1-4965-899C-2F1E9139538A.jpeg
88823711-BCAC-4F90-B7D1-C2FD8AB5F0AD.jpeg

Yes he did a good job for protecting them..but, many have scratches on their backs. :(. I put up some random plywood in the coop for the hens that aren’t familiar with the cockerels to hide behind until they get used to each other. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition, and these guys will stay nice since we raised them, and they are free range and follow us around:)

It should be, the girls will likely be skittish for a little while but those young fellas will win them over.
I am sure you see they put their heart and soul into the ladies their first year. :)

Yes he did a good job for protecting them..but, many have scratches on their backs. :(. I put up some random plywood in the coop for the hens that aren’t familiar with the cockerels to hide behind until they get used to each other. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition, and these guys will stay nice since we raised them, and they are free range and follow us around:)

So...update...we finally made Spike into chicken soup....we decided to go that route after seeing how much fat he had on him, and thinking...wow, he must be really old? So, he made really awful soup...he’s terrible! Chris is still going to eat him, because that’s the way he feels about farm animals...if you raise them, and care for them...you can at least reap every benefit of them....even when it tastes bad...hmmmm. This is not the first animal he’s forced himself to eat, nor will it be the last...but, it’s money well spent in his eyes, and the chickens were safe while Spike did his job. So, I guess that’s as good as it can get.

So...update...we finally made Spike into chicken soup....we decided to go that route after seeing how much fat he had on him, and thinking...wow, he must be really old? So, he made really awful soup...he’s terrible! Chris is still going to eat him, because that’s the way he feels about farm animals...if you raise them, and care for them...you can at least reap every benefit of them....even when it tastes bad...hmmmm. This is not the first animal he’s forced himself to eat, nor will it be the last...but, it’s money well spent in his eyes, and the chickens were safe while Spike did his job. So, I guess that’s as good as it can get.

I am sorry about this.:hugs Older birds don't lend themselves as well to eating as the younger tender flesh. I guess he was cranky till the end? :hmm

Back
Top Bottom