Speckled Sussex unsure of gender

Vratnyjulez

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2018
Florida
This is my speckled Sussexx. It is a few days shy of five weeks wondering if y’all think it’s a pullet or a rooster???
IMG_6176.jpeg
IMG_6174.jpeg
IMG_6177.jpeg

This is my speckled Sussexx. It is a few days shy of five weeks wondering if y’all think it’s a pullet or a rooster???
Hello! I am new to chicken keeping, but I have a Speckled Sussex rooster and two hens (They are 9 months old now). Here are some photos of them at 5 and 6 weeks of age for comparison. I hope it helps you!

P.S. My rooster turned out to be incredibly sweet to humans and his hens. ☺️

Attachments

• GridArt_20240421_203024840.jpg
    GridArt_20240421_203024840.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 8
  • GridArt_20240421_202649141.jpg
    GridArt_20240421_202649141.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 8
Hello! I am new to chicken keeping, but I have a Speckled Sussex rooster and two hens (They are 9 months old now). Here are some photos of them at 5 and 6 weeks of age for comparison. I hope it helps you!

P.S. My rooster turned out to be incredibly sweet to humans and his hens. ☺️
Thanks!!!! it is a bit early to make any for sure guesses but I was just worried that the comb is a little bit red for the age, but maybe she is just an early developer??? I have a speckled Sussexx that is six years old and I just can’t remember if she was an early developer or not

Thanks!!!! it is a bit early to make any for sure guesses but I was just worried that the comb is a little bit red for the age, but maybe she is just an early developer??? I have a speckled Sussexx that is six years old and I just can’t remember if she was an early developer or not
I feel like it's too early to know for sure with your little guy. He could be a late-developing cockerel or an early pullet. I think you'll know for sure in a week or two. 😊

I have no experience with SS other than my one rooster and two hens. It was just one day (about 34 days old) I looked down at Lynn (now Alek) and I was like, "Oh! You look like a rooster." I had been worried about that chick because it was soooo slow to feather and I thought maybe something was wrong. Nope! Just a roo. 😂
I sure hope you have a pullet like you want. ☺️

Too early to tell for a SS, this breed does show comb growth early even on the Pullets. By week 9 or 10 you'll know for sure, the pattern or lack of along with the comb development will give you confidence one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom