Spaying

Caatheeb

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2017
I need to find a vet that will spay my hen. All vets that see chickens will only give us the hormone to stop egg laying and they charge a fortune each time. How do I find a spaying vet in Silicon Valley?

Uhh correct me if Im wrong but you cant 'spay' a chicken... Everything goes through their vent and if you mess around with that area, inside or out it could mess up their entire system in that area and they could potentially die. Even if you can, it's severely life-threatening and most vets wong 'spay' a healthy hen. Is there a specific reason why you dont want your hen to lay eggs?

Spay cats and dogs...my family members and I are pretty much all for it! But for a chicken? I've never heard of that before... But I agree with MysticChocobo...it may kill your hen. Just like it's extremely rare for people to spay female horses, as it can be very bad for them unlike felines and canines, it is probably the same way with chickens, I'd imagine.
If you don't want eggs, why get chickens? Or, more specifically, why not get roosters instead of hens? There are lots of nice roosters/baby cockerels needing good homes, too (since more people want pullets and not the cocks, understandably, though).

If you don't want eggs, why get chickens? Or, more specifically, why not get roosters instead of hens? There are lots of nice roosters/baby cockerels needing good homes, too (since more people want pullets and not the cocks, understandably, though).
To be fair, we dont yet know why op wishes to stop production and there are valid medical reasons to do so (hen prone to reproductive difficulties, prolapse, etc)

To be fair, we dont yet know why op wishes to stop production and there are valid medical reasons to do so (hen prone to reproductive difficulties, prolapse, etc)
In my opinion if theres legitimate reproductive reasons with a hen then the hen is of no use and should be culled. Prolapse almost always kills hens in the first place so she has a point
I do agree with you on the fact that we dont know what the OP's situation is yet

In my opinion if theres legitimate reproductive reasons with a hen then the hen is of no use and should be culled. Prolapse almost always kills hens in the first place so she has a point
I do agree with you on the fact that we dont know what the OP's situation is yet
While I would agree for my own birds, some folks value a nonproductive hen and choose to maintain them. Not worth it to me, and given some methods used to curb production I would have to question quality over quantity of life, but it is worth it for some.....just not achievable surgically

Why are you wanting to spay her? You are unlikely to find a vet to do the procedure
She is constantly egg bound. Avian vet thinks it may be her reproductive system. They offer a hormone chip injection to stop her from laying , but it only works for 3-4 months and cost 400 each time. Plus, the hormone injection causes her not to be herself. We love her and want her as a pet, but she’s constantly in pain, egg bound, and miserable. I’ve read of spaying hens and it being successful.

Uhh correct me if Im wrong but you cant 'spay' a chicken... Everything goes through their vent and if you mess around with that area, inside or out it could mess up their entire system in that area and they could potentially die. Even if you can, it's severely life-threatening and most vets wong 'spay' a healthy hen. Is there a specific reason why you dont want your hen to lay eggs?
She is constantly egg bound. Avian vet thinks it may be her reproductive system. They offer a hormone chip injection to stop her from laying , but it only works for 3-4 months and cost 400 each time. Plus, the hormone injection causes her not to be herself. We love her and want her as a pet, but she’s constantly in pain, egg bound, and miserable. I’ve read of spaying hens and it being successful.

Back
Top Bottom