Sour crop - need dosing for miconazole ASAP

vswiler

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hi! My two year old favorite backyard chicken has sour crop. I was a few days late in diagnosing her because I've been working and the only close avian vet is on vacay (and I'm learning as I go). Anyway, I'm 100% sure she has this. Soft, bubbly crop that won't empty, terrible breath, lethargic, not eating. I started her on over the counter miconazole 7 cream last night. I syringed 2ml in her mouth. Today, I froze a squeeze of the cream and chopped it up in quarters and gave it to her that way. Wondering if this is the right dose? Also wondering if I should try a 3 day course instead of the 7 since it may be stronger. No changes since I first started the dose last night and she's even worse. This has happened one other time a few months ago. I helped her regurgitate and did a lot of crop massages and it resolved. Not this time, though. Going on day 5 and getting desperate.

I did see that link and that's the dosing I was going off of. I'm a nurse and know what yeast would look like in the mouth, but I don't see white spots in there. All other symptoms are there, though.

I did see that link and that's the dosing I was going off of. I'm a nurse and know what yeast would look like in the mouth, but I don't see white spots in there. All other symptoms are there, though.
Great! Glad there's no yeast or Canker inside the beak which would complicate things.
Hopefully she will improve with treatment.

Hi! My two year old favorite backyard chicken has sour crop. I was a few days late in diagnosing her because I've been working and the only close avian vet is on vacay (and I'm learning as I go). Anyway, I'm 100% sure she has this. Soft, bubbly crop that won't empty, terrible breath, lethargic, not eating. I started her on over the counter miconazole 7 cream last night. I syringed 2ml in her mouth. Today, I froze a squeeze of the cream and chopped it up in quarters and gave it to her that way. Wondering if this is the right dose? Also wondering if I should try a 3 day course instead of the 7 since it may be stronger. No changes since I first started the dose last night and she's even worse. This has happened one other time a few months ago. I helped her regurgitate and did a lot of crop massages and it resolved. Not this time, though. Going on day 5 and getting desperate.
How often did you give her the 2lm of cream? Did you do the 3 day or 7 day course? I have the same situation and cream and have been having trouble finding sources for amount/frequency

Hi, how did you go with your chook? Mum's chicken also has the stinky breath and white dischanrge from the mouth but eats and is normal otherwise. I'm a bit nervous about giving her the tinea cream Miconazole nitrate 2% (packaging says only for external use).

Back
Top Bottom