Sooooo... my waterer spilled.

Fwoof

Crowing
Jun 13, 2022
I had to drive somewhere quite far yesterday, and I came home to my chicks' previously full waterer being completely empty, and the bedding, across the whole brooder, being wet.
The poor chicks' tummies were also damp, so I changed the brooder's bedding right away. It was my fault for the most part, because it turns out I've been facing the spout the wrong direction from since I swiched their other waterer for that one. (they've been using it for about six days now).
I feel terrible, it must have been wet for at least five hours. I heard that wet brooders can be deadly for chicks, and they seem fine and active...
I don't want to lose any of my babies. What do I do? Help!

If they're wet, you can blow dry them on low to speed up getting them dry.

Otherwise, I'd just watch them for signs of coccidiosis as that is a perfect environment for it. If they become lethargic, stand around with their head down and wings out, not eating/drinking, or possibly bloody poop, get some Corid going right away.

I would also give them some vitamin water to help them fight off anything they may be developing.

Don't blame yourself. We do our best for our chicks and chickens but sometimes we make a mistake or an accident happens. We live and learn. :hugs

Feel better. I have a waterer that doubles as a feeder and if you screw the wrong side on, tsunami in the brooder happens. Indeed I have done this. They're going to be fine so long as you are successful at getting it dry as a bone now. Don't beat yourself is what you do, stuff happens, and you find out how resilient chicks can be!

If they're wet, you can blow dry them on low to speed up getting them dry.
They dried off for the most part, they weren't dripping wet or noticeably moist. The down on their bellies was just a little spiky and wet-looking.
Otherwise, I'd just watch them for signs of coccidiosis as that is a perfect environment for it. If they become lethargic, stand around with their head down and wings out, not eating/drinking, or possibly bloody poop, get some Corid going right away.
They're definitely eating/drinking and not looking lethargic right now, so that's a relief. Two of the chicks' poop is watery but not bloody.
I would also give them some vitamin water to help them fight off anything they may be developing.
On it. What kinds of vitamins are the most beneficial to getting rid of any diseases in vitamin water for chicks, so I can possibly make it for them myself?

They dried off for the most part, they weren't dripping wet or noticeably moist. The down on their bellies was just a little spiky and wet-looking.

They're definitely eating/drinking and not looking lethargic right now, so that's a relief. Two of the chicks' poop is watery but not bloody.

On it. What kinds of vitamins are the most beneficial to getting rid of any diseases in vitamin water for chicks, so I can possibly make it for them myself?
It’s hard to make yourself and get the doses right so I would just get some Sav A Chick or NutraDrench

Feel better. I have a waterer that doubles as a feeder and if you screw the wrong side on, tsunami in the brooder happens. Indeed I have done this. They're going to be fine so long as you are successful at getting it dry as a bone now. Don't beat yourself is what you do, stuff happens, and you find out how resilient chicks can be!
Thank you! Makes me feel better that this has happened before and the chicks were fine.

The best one is Poultry Cell as it has more than Nutra Drench but Nutra Drench is faster acting and has the majority in it. Basically, either one. We have both and alternate.

Back
Top Bottom