Soon to hatch ducklings

Fowlgals

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
So I’ve raised 2 ducklings before and was able to keep them inside during the first few weeks since I know they need to remain warm but now those ducklings are grown and having babies of their own and I’m just confused on how much “intervening” I need to do. We live in So-Cal and it’s fairly cool at the moment but not freezing, our fowl is laying on her eggs and they’re definitely fertile! I know not all eggs will hatch but for those that do idk if I should take them inside with me, leave them with the parents, what to feed, or if I should even feed them myself. I mainly want to know if the fowl will just take charge the entire time or should I give her a hand? Anything helps!

What breed are your ducks? usually mama takes very good care of her ducklings. You might want to give them some space from the adults until the ducklings are a couple weeks old just so the others can see them and get used to having them around. As for feeding them, you need to have an all flock crumble or starter grower out for them and it's okay for the adults to eat this too. Watching mama and ducklings together is a joy.Make sure any water source you have for the adults the ducklings can't get into and possibly drown. There is always a slim chance mama may not take care of her ducklings then you need to step in but that is something you'll just have to watch for and most likely won't happen. If a first-time mama though I always keep the eggs mine sit on to under 8 .
:welcome

What breed are your ducks? usually mama takes very good care of her ducklings. You might want to give them some space from the adults until the ducklings are a couple weeks old just so the others can see them and get used to having them around. As for feeding them, you need to have an all flock crumble or starter grower out for them and it's okay for the adults to eat this too. Watching mama and ducklings together is a joy.Make sure any water source you have for the adults the ducklings can't get into and possibly drown. There is always a slim chance mama may not take care of her ducklings then you need to step in but that is something you'll just have to watch for and most likely won't happen. If a first-time mama though I always keep the eggs mine sit on to under 8 .
:welcome
I have 1 Pekín (female) and a welsh harlequin (drake). Luckily we have a really big pen so we can accommodate for the ducklings. Our Pekín is very protective of her eggs if anything I’m mainly concerned about the drake. Even though we raised duckings once it was only 2 but now we potentially have 6+ so this is helpful!

Some drakes are pretty laid back mine is actually scared of ducklings and he's a 15lb Muscovy, but I have heard tragic stories of drakes killing ducklings so I say it's better to be cautious.
My drake is a bit of a bully to smaller birds so I am a little nervous but luckily we can keep a close eye on all the animals. He’s usually ok with other animals but will chase smaller birds around.

Back
Top Bottom