So my friend wants to give me his chickens, what to do

thehbcrew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Long Island
I have 6 20 week old pullets at the moment, one just started to lay. My friend has 4 hens he's trying to get rid of that are about 2 years old. My run is 144sqft so i know thats big enough but my small A frame coop is only about 4'X5'. Do you think 10 chickens would get along in a coop that small?? seems kind of tight already... I know they would sleep fine when i put in another roost, but walk around space is limited.

Last edited:
Sounds like i could take his coop, its just a DIY pallet one, if i can take it apart easily and put it in, i think i'm going to do it.

If i take them the first night should i put them in my coop so they co-mingle in the AM? then the next day hopefully they will go in their old coop?

I would want to quarantine them, or at the very least not let them co-mingle. The hens are liable to injure the babies because of size difference etc.

I've read that a lot of people will put wire up so the chickens can see each other and adjust, but can't go after each other. Good luck!

If you have a chick laying you have a very strange chick. Over developed for sure. I was going to say take his layers, eat the ones of your's not laying but I doubt they're large enough to get much in the way of meat. I don't think I would ever pass up free layers.

Back
Top Bottom