Sneezing Pullet

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
One of my Brahmas has started a sneezing episode. I've never had a chicken sneeze.
D.gif
Is this common or could there be an underlying problem?

I had one of mine sneeze yesterday. It was kinda funny sounding. I think she sniffed in too much dusty dirt when she was poking around, then she sneezed, it sounded like a gazoo. Is your chicken acting OK? Sneezing constantly?

Not all the time sneezing as of yet... but she wasn't dusting either at the time. So I'm not sure what it is. It could be that we have been so dry... no rain for 2 wks, it is raining now may be that will clear the air for her.

We have a hen that's been sneezing for weeks. Otherwise, she acts fine. Several of ours had a mild respiratory thing a few months ago, that we treated with Terramycin. This one seemed to just never get over it, but she never got any worse, either. We had two hens die from Avian TB early last spring; this is supposed to be contagious but not all will get it. At this point we're just adopting a wait and see attitude.

If they keep sneezing and you think they might have something wrong, you can mash up a clove or 2 of garlic and throw it in their water for a day or two. (Don't mix with ACV though)
Mine had sneezing and runny noses back when we were having all that smoke, and for some reason the garlic even helped with that!

A few of mine were sneezing and had clear runny noses back at around 5
weeks. Whatever it was jumped around to 4 out of my 30 chicks. I bought
Terramycin but never used it. My chickies sneeze a bit now at 15 weeks but
there is no sign of illness. They seem to do it when they get excited, kinda
like the dog. They'll also sneeze more while ranging and dusting.

The garlic idea sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom