Small Eggs, No Yolk

Mike121

Chirping
Jul 21, 2019
I have 17 chickens and all has been well. They all look healthy and the eggs have all looked great, until the last week or so. Now, every day I have 1 egg that is a lot smaller than the others, speckled, and has no yolk. What in the world could be happening here?

IMG_20191030_123104.jpg

Are your hens all the same age? Do you have any older hens that may be nearing "retirement" age? Sometimes you see these in really young birds just starting to lay, or in older birds nearing the end of their productive cycle. Rooster eggs is another name for them. The speckling is caused by the same amount of pigment being deposited over a smaller surface than usual.

Are your hens all the same age? Do you have any older hens that may be nearing "retirement" age? Sometimes you see these in really young birds just starting to lay, or in older birds nearing the end of their productive cycle. Rooster eggs is another name for them. The speckling is caused by the same amount of pigment being deposited over a smaller surface than usual.

Yes, they're all the same age, but they're young. This is their first year laying, since sometime in the spring.

Pics of what's inside those tiny eggs might answer the 'why/how'.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.
I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

So is it normal for the hen to continue laying these "fart eggs" because my rocky the one in my avatar is roughly about 4-5 years old and she was a great layer, but now its just totally fart eggs from her, Does this mean she is "retiring" from the "Laying Normal Egg Sized Eggs" business?

So is it normal for the hen to continue laying these "fart eggs" because my rocky the one in my avatar is roughly about 4-5 years old and she was a great layer, but now its just totally fart eggs from her, Does this mean she is "retiring" from the "Laying Normal Egg Sized Eggs" business?
No, not normal.
Something's wrong with her reproductive system.
What is inside the farts eggs?
Pics of egg contents might give a clue.

Back
Top Bottom