Silver Laced Wyandottes that lay blue eggs

Blue eggs can be very hard to photograph, especially when not under natural light. I've had a rough time getting pics that accurately represent my blue eggs' colors.

Dar Jones, those eggs look great! I'm kinda jealous of your egg size. I recently set several blue eggs (from my Prairie Bluebell Eggers), but the largest one (67g) hatched a chick I had to cull. So only one hen laying super large blue eggs for me.

Culling is what we do to remove unwanted genetics. Unfortunately, I'm culling about 95% of my chicks at this time. Roosters are culled very heavily because they have more influence on offspring that hens. (Roosters mate with multiple hens) It looks like I have 4 roosters that are candidates to keep from last year's hatch. I will gene test them and expect 2 or 3 will be homozygous for oocyanin.

I put a round of turkey and chicken eggs in the incubator today. I already have 36 turkey eggs and added 5 more today. My turkey hen is laying about 6 eggs per week. Early hatches are always low so I'm not expecting much from these.

I have at least 2 pullets that have started laying. One of my mature roosters died of unknown causes about 2 weeks ago (age 2.5 years). I did not lose any other birds. On a positive note, there have been no problems with predators since August. There are still plenty of opossums and raccoons in the nearby woods but thankfully the foxes are gone.

The incubator is half full of eggs. About 80 are turkey and the remainder are from my chickens. The first hatch is due Wednesday.

Several more young hens are now laying. One is laying the prettiest blue eggs yet! There is no tint of tan or brown. The eggs are still small in the 50 gram range typical of a newly laying hen. I'm collecting her eggs and will put them in the incubator in a few days. Young hens just started laying often lay eggs with better blue color. Still, this is the first time I've had a hen laying eggs that are more intense blue than the original blue egg laying Brown Leghorns.

In other notes, I have 3 carefully selected young roosters that are old enough to mate with the hens. I need to get them tested for the oocyanin gene. At least one of them will have only one copy so should be culled.

Back
Top Bottom