Silkie mix - foot issue

Pippys Place

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
Maritimes - Canada
Hi! I washed my gal’s feet this evening for the first time (she’s relatively new to me). I’m wondering about this whitish build-up. I was able to peel/pluck some off, almost like dry skin, but sometimes there wa a tiny hint of possible bleeding - so I didn’t want to go too far. Any ideas? This was a first time wash - just wanted to get the worst mud/poo off and her her used to it. Will try nails eventually!

Attachments

• 9897AEFA-20E0-475B-9977-46D37F99847B.jpeg
    9897AEFA-20E0-475B-9977-46D37F99847B.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi! I washed my gal’s feet this evening for the first time (she’s relatively new to me). I’m wondering about this whitish build-up. I was able to peel/pluck some off, almost like dry skin, but sometimes there wa a tiny hint of possible bleeding - so I didn’t want to go too far. Any ideas? This was a first time wash - just wanted to get the worst mud/poo off and her her used to it. Will try nails eventually!
Could it be mites? Maybe the white stuff you are peeling off is the scales of her feet that are lifted by the mites. If I was you I would put Vaseline or coconut oil on her legs every couple days and see if that takes care of the problem.

It’s scaly leg mites. Gotta get rid of those right away. They can make the feet very painful and can also turn into a bacterial or fungal infection.
I like nustock for treatment. You should be able to get it at the local farm or feed store in the horse section.
Make sure her feet and legs are clean. Try to get some of the flakes off during the soak without making her feet raw. Apply the nustock and try your best to work it into all the crevices on the tops of her feet, ankles and legs. Wear gloves when applying. Just treated a hen today. Repeat in 5-7 days.
You need to treat the roosts too with nustock or permethrin spray if you have other birds. It’s contagious to other birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom