Silkie Frizzle?

Sevmeldim3

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Hi guys! Long story short...I ordered bantam brahmas from a hatchery and all but one showed up alive. It was awful. So I was looking for local chicks to keep my singleton company. I never owned silkies, before but I found silkie chicks 3 days younger so I picked up 3. I instantly fell in love so when a friend couldn't sell all her chicks at market, I picked up 6 of her leftover silkies...I know...chicken math got me. The 6 are a week older and wings are starting to feather. This one in the pic is one of the group of 3 silkies, only one week old. Feathers just starting to show...could it be that my baby is a frizzle?! Beautiful baby...I'd be so excited! Feathers coming in just dont look like the rest. So cute! Thanks in advance. I'm just starting to learn about this breed so I appreciate the experienced silkie opinions. Probably too early to tell but thought I would ask. I call this chick "Sunny" for reference.
20240315_085833.jpg
20240315_085819.jpg
20240315_085844.jpg
20240315_085833.jpg

I'm not a expert but I think the fluffy is a sizzle, and the more curly or bent look is frizzle. I also know many different types of birds can have sizzle and frizzle. I was told from the hatchery you can not breed two frizzles together because it will result in a chick who will loose her feathers. The breeding has to be a 50/50. Making it hard to predict who will frizzle. I have two frizzle chicks who are Easter Eggers and I hope I get at least one frizzle look.i won't know until later... hope this helps out some.

I’ve never had a frizzled silkie before (but trust me, I’ve hatched eggs from frizzled pens hoping to get them many times 😂) and that to me looks like a frizzled silkie!! What an adorable chick! I hope she is frizzled for you!

I just hatched several silkie and satin chicks and I thought some of my silkie chicks at that age were frizzled but then they ended up not being! I did end up with one frizzled satin though.

I’ve never had a frizzled silkie before (but trust me, I’ve hatched eggs from frizzled pens hoping to get them many times 😂) and that to me looks like a frizzled silkie!! What an adorable chick! I hope she is frizzled for you!

I just hatched several silkie and satin chicks and I thought some of my silkie chicks at that age were frizzled but then they ended up not being! I did end up with one frizzled satin though.
The black one is feathering much slower, is much smaller but his little wing feathers are starting to go wonky as well. Got 3 from the breeder. The 3rd already has wings that look like satin feathers. They are still so young though. The 6 that are a week ahead from a different breeder look so different. so many variations in Silkies it seems. I'm trying to figure them all out. Here's a pic of the black one. He's a QT too! So tiny... Thank you so much! I love talking about chickens ❤️
20240315_105359.jpg
20240315_105336.jpg

Here I’ll post a picture of the silkie that I thought might be a frizzle at that age - yours looks much better for frizzle than mine did! I think you do have a frizzle. And it is completely possible to have a frizzled silkie. I’m sure a long long way back another breed was introduced into silkies to add the frizzle gene but frizzled silkies are relatively common now. Pictured is the silkie I thought was drizzled but wasn’t, and the wing picture is the satin that ended up being a frizzle.

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7720.jpeg
    IMG_7720.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 23
I'm not a expert but I think the fluffy is a sizzle, and the more curly or bent look is frizzle. I also know many different types of birds can have sizzle and frizzle. I was told from the hatchery you can not breed two frizzles together because it will result in a chick who will loose her feathers. The breeding has to be a 50/50. Making it hard to predict who will frizzle. I have two frizzle chicks who are Easter Eggers and I hope I get at least one frizzle look.i won't know until later... hope this helps out some.

Here’s a picture of the chicks today - they are about 2.5 weeks old. You can spot the frizzled satin but all the rest are just reg silkies/satins.
Ps your darker chick is adorable!! And also looks like it could be a frizzle possibly!

Attachments

• IMG_7794.jpeg
    IMG_7794.jpeg
    590.7 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom