Sickness in Baby Turkey

starterfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 9, 2014
Hi i have a BB bronze that overnight has become ill. He is acting listless and ruffled up, also showing signs of diarrea but not discolored? This is the second time this is happening....I already Lost my first chick an disinfected everything rinsed it dried it. Then put the new one in an now 3 weeks later he is sick too. But the little Bourbon Red is fine? What do i do?

*update*
woke up today an the little guy seems a little better. Don't think I have ever read so much on what can go wrong in raising some turkey's. LOL

My pullets are inside i dont put in a heated outdoor pen till they feather out from their fuzz. WAS feeding game bird start and grow...took that away and basically mix about 2 tbl of it into my flock raiser (about 1 cup) and feed them that. Plus i got the Chick Boost you add to the water, oh and also bought brewers yeast.....i just followed direction on the container and all animals are getting that now. I'm hoping this stops any continued deaths, especially since I'm trying to hatch out 14 eggs.

Sorry no one answered your post yesterday. I don't know anything about turkeys, but they can get coccidiosis which sound like your symptoms. Corid or sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon, or Sulfamed-G) would be good for treatment. Sulfa is a good antibiotic also in case it is something else besides cocci. Here is a link to read: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/84/coccidiosis-of-turkeys

Last edited:
Oh my gosh thank you! that fits his symptoms. Now I know what to do. An how to stop the dang cycle LOL I did so much reading thought my eyes were going to burn out but i couldn't find anything that fit what i was dealing with!

Oh my gosh thank you! that fits his symptoms. Now I know what to do. An how to stop the dang cycle LOL I did so much reading thought my eyes were going to burn out but i couldn't find anything that fit what i was dealing with!
Since they haven't been on the dirt I would definetly treat for Coccidiosis with Corid at the .024% dose which is 1.5 teaspoons of the 20% powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of the 9.6% liquid per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

More Corid info here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom