Sick pullet, very lethargic w/ runny droppings!

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys,

I have a pullet who wouldn't come out of the coop today. I took her out and set her down, but she just lay down sort of on her side and wouldn't get up or move. She seems very weak and wobbly, and unable to stand well. The main problem I've noticed with her is very runny droppings: her whole vent area is VERY messy.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Salmon Faverolle pullet, about 35-40 weeks, not yet laying. She is pretty light, but she is younger then the rest and a smaller breed of bird. I don't have any other of her age and breed to compare her with.
2) What is the behavior, exactly
Seems very lethargic, laying down on her side, panting, and unable to stand.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I just noticed it this morning; she was fine yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
All of the other birds seems fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, I checked her over and there was no sign of that.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Unknown.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have not seen her eat or drink today, but then again, it is pretty early in the day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Very runny, and all stuck up in her feathers around her vent. Her vent itself is sort of red and possibly inflamed.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have seperated her from the rest of the flock but am not sure how to start treatment.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat her myself, usually I don't take them to the vet unless they need surgery, which I doubt would be neccesary in this case.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She's in a medium sized coop with six seemingly healthy other chickens. I use pine shavings for bedding.

Any ideas what is wrong with her or how I could help?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom