Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
I have nine bourbon red poults that are about two weeks old. One is not doing well this evening. His belly area seems swollen, there is a scab in that area. He is just standing with his eyes closed and wings drooped, letting the other poults run over him. Could it have an infection? Or be constipated?

They are in a brooder box in our shed. The temps have been high and they have been happy without the heat lamp on. I did turn it on again to give this one some more warmth and comfort. All but this one are eating and drinking a lot. They are on a 30% game bird crumble and have had electrolytes in their water.

We have a bunch of birds right now including some new chickens, a new pair of turkeys, and these poults. We have been washing hands and boots between visits to each different coop or brooder. Not sharing feeders or waters. Keeping everyone separate.

What should I do?

Can you get a clear picture of the area that has the scab?
Have you seen him poop?

I'm not sure what happened but the only thing I can do now is try to make sure the rest stay healthy. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to keep a closer eye on them. I'm just not always out there to see right away if one of them is feeling down.

I'm not sure what happened but the only thing I can do now is try to make sure the rest stay healthy. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to keep a closer eye on them. I'm just not always out there to see right away if one of them is feeling down.
I'd make sure they have fresh, clean, plain water, not cold and crumbled feed at all times.
I'd make sure their area isn't too hot.

I'd make sure they have fresh, clean, plain water, not cold and crumbled feed at all times.
I'd make sure their area isn't too hot.
Thanks. We lost just the one poult, still not completely sure why. I did not keep it for any testing. I have been doing what you suggested and the rest of the poults are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom