Sick chicken, we think botulism?? URGENT HELPPPPPP

angiedlp

Hatching
Apr 9, 2018
Hi all,

I work for a homeowners association and one day about a year ago a little chick appeared, we began feeding it as we do with our ducks. We've grown attached to our little chicken and we think she has a case of botulism, we've seen it happen with two ducks here before. The cases in the ducks we've seen don't survive past a day, our chicken started showing signs on Friday. Her symptoms were paralysis of legs and limp neck, where she can't really pick herself up. She seems to be much stronger at fighting this than the ducks that have had the cases. She tries to put effort in standing and quiet sounding clucks, and occasionally tries to pick up her head a little bit, but then it sinks back down again.
We called vets for help, we asked rescues, and it brought us here to this forum. We kept her inside and comfortable for the time being, and followed advice listed on the internet for treating botulism (not that there's much help). We checked on her throughout the weekend, today she is more active than she was throughout the weekend. Throughout the weekend she just lied still, and slept, today I was giving her water and she picked her head up more, tried standing up again, shook her head a little, and clucked a little.
Most botulism cases don't survive past 48 hours, and our chicken has, we really want to help her anyway possible.
PLEASE HELPPP ANY ADVICE IS USEFUL!!!!!

Chickens do get botulism from eating dead animal remains or vegetation/maggots/worms that has been underground underwater or without air getting to it for the anaerobes to grow.

Botulism normally starts with flaccid paralysis of the feet progressing upward spinally to the wings, then neck, and lastly eyelids and breathing muscles.

Mareks disease is very common in chickens, appaarently is everywhere worldwide, and can cause similar neurological symptoms, such as weakness of one or both legs or wings, sometimes a twisted or limp neck, and other symptoms which vary. They may sit with a leg forward or backward, or on their haunches. Chickens may linger for days or weeks, and many die from not getting food or water. They can have a lack of immunity. Some may have color changes or pupil changes in an eye.

Tube feeding may be something you want to do to get nutrition into her. Let us know how she gets allng.

Her eyes are shut closed from the swelling around them, she hasn't been able to open her eyes since late night Friday, thanks so much for your help!!

Greetings angiedlp,

I am guessing that since you have ducks, there must be a water source that is stagnant. This is where the clostridium botulinum bacteria are, that are infecting your poultry. You must drain and disinfect that polluted source, or you will have more deaths. You may also need to remove and disinfect any litter that the bird was using. Also, check the property for any dead, wild bird or rodent carcasses that the chicken could have found and pecked at. This is another common source of botulism.

Treatment for the sick chicken is as follows: Remove source of toxin, supportive care, antibiotics (bacitracin), and selenium supplement. You can also do a molasses flush or use epsom salt flush, which actually should have been done immediately.

Denagard in the water is another possible treatment, as it treats for Clostridium Perfringens, a similar bacteria.

If you wish to treat with herbs, here are some that may work, however, remember this is a very deadly bacteria. You must exercise caution with this bacteria, as well, that you do not accidentally ingest, or get any in your eyes or nostrils. Garlic, Goldenseal, Manuka Honey, Dandelion, Echinacea, and Ginger are herbal remedies that may be used to treat botulism poisoning. I personally would use Goldenseal and Manuka Honey and maybe some Ginger. A capsule of each powdered herb is easily mixed with some honey and water to make a pudding like consistency. Then, give about .5 to 1 mL to the chicken, 2-3 times a day.

These are my thoughts on your possible botulism event. I hope they are helpful and that your chicken recovers.

God Bless :)

Wow thank you so much, you had more advice than what I found in articles online, how can I use the Epsom salt flush? Or which of the treatments of you think would be best. everywhere I've read says that if they've survived past 48 hours they're likely to live with the right treatment, so if she has a fighting chance I want to make sure I give her one. Or what are the directions with the bacitracin or selenium supplement? again, thank you so much

nurse chick WELCOME.jpg

Greetings angiedlp, Welcome to BYC!
So sorry, you are in need of help for your sick hen. I do hope she recovers soon. Please update us here on BYC. :frow

Yes, a good fighting chance is what she needs.

Epsom Salt Flush: 1 tsp. epsom salt to 1/2 cup water. Stir to dissolve. Administer to the bird with an oral syringe or dropper, twice a day, for 2-3 days, or till recovered.

Molasses Flush: 1 pint molasses per 5 gallons water, given as drinking water for the flock, for no longer than 8 hours. You will have to do some math, to reduce the formula for one chicken.

It may not be necessary to do a flush at this point if the chicken is pooping.

But the following may be helpful.

Selenium: Some keepers grate a bit of Brazil Nut, but you can also feed the following foods: (egg whites, fish, sunflower seeds) or you can use human supplements if you can't find bird supplements.

A 200 mcgs pill can be cut into 4 pieces, then crushed. Give 50 mcgs, in food if the chicken is eating, or you can mix it into some instant vanilla pudding (use water or almond milk instead of milk) and administer once or twice a day, with an oral syringe. I would not go over 100 mcgs a day.

Also, add some vitamin E - 400 I.U. capsule, once or twice a day, puncture the capsule, and squeeze out the contents on the food, or combine with the selenium pudding.

Treat for no more than a few days. Hopefully, this will restore the muscle strength to the neck and legs.

Antibiotics: Depending on where you live, antibiotics may have to be purchased from a certified veterinarian. Here, in California, I have to rely on my vet. As the law no longer allows a chicken keeper to purchase them, online, or at a farm store. But, you may have a farm/feed store that sells antibiotics for poultry. If they have the Denagard, I can send you the dosage. But, most oral or injectable antibiotic dosages are based on the animal's weight and the strength of the antibiotic. Remember to follow any course of antibiotics with a three day course of probiotics.

Electrolytes: Put some electrolytes in the chickens water for at least three days. Especially if you do a flush, as she will have diarrhea, and this can weaken her. You can use a home made recipe or some Pedialyte water for babies.

Soft Diet: Feed her a bit of cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, also some toast with butter is good.

Clean fresh water daily.

If it is really cold where you live, you can provide a little heat for her at night. Make sure she can move away from the warmth, if she wants to. She may only need warmth for a couple of nights. Keep her out of drafts and windy conditions till she is fully recovered.

Watch for secondary infections like upper respiratory, she is vulnerable now that she is in a weakened state.

Well, I hope this is helpful...use your best judgement on anything that concerns you.

And please consider the advice of other members, as, there are many experienced keepers here, with different styles and preferences for treatment.

God Bless :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom