Should I put all roosters together or let them each have their own little flock?

Yes, I thought of possibly down the road of breeding. The roosters I have are Swedish Flower, Frost Cream Legbar and a Super Blue...so we will see. I should be good for a couple years with what I have, unless something unexpected happens. I'm just waiting on an automatic door to control the early morning crow. But the bachelors will have a lot of space with with 2 coops enclosed in a 10x10 area with an additional 10x20 run. I will just have to alternate evening free ranging time.
Those sound like breeds that you want to raise. Breeders do keep one male with only 2 or 3 hens, It is a work & time intensive project! I have several layers, but only 1 cock and 3 hens that I want to breed, Barred Hollands. They are also a rare breed like the ones you have. I have them in with the hatchery layers. They have white eggs, easy to tell apart. Your Legbars have a distinctive egg, too. Maybe you could consider keeping the 2 rare breeds and their hens together? Super blue sounds like a hybrid layer that you might not want to keep at all, just my 2 cents.:) I think Legbars are very interesting!

Back
Top Bottom