Should I put all roosters together or let them each have their own little flock?

suzychappstick

Songster
Jun 20, 2017
Since this past summer I had 11 hens and 2 roosters (not intentionally). However, our dogs broke into the run and coop and killed six of our hens. I purchased 4 more chicks that were suppose to be ladies, and it is clear, I have ANOTHER rooster. I would like to try to keep all 3. I am trying to figure out the best option.

1. Could I let all 3 roosters live together in a separate run and coop? I definitely have a dominant and submissive of the 2 older roos. I have a feeling the 3 month old cockerel might be more dominant. He starting crowing at about 8 weeks like my other dominant roo. But I thought maybe if I introduced him early, there might be too many issues. If I do this, do to they have to be a significant distance away from the ladies not to fight or can I split the existing run? Which means only a wire fence will be separating the guys from the gals. This appeals to me because I will only have to heat a second coop in our MN. Also, if I ever happen to get another roo, he also could be introduce to the rooster sanctuary.😉

OR

2. Give let each rooster live with a couple hens in their own coop (I have a total of 7 females now)? I have 3 coops, 2 small and 1 a little bigger. This is probably more ideal for the roos, but maybe not for me. That would be another coop I have to heat and make sure water doesn't freeze in the winter. Also, would have to figure out how to install another automatic door to control the crowing the neighbors hear at sunrise. We live on 5 acres, but do have neighbors within earshot.

One additional question for anyone who might know, if I do have the roos live together. In the evenings can I let the guys and gals free range together or will a big fight ensue over access to the ladies or will they just chase the ladies around? I have a feeling I know the answer but was just looking for any additional input.

A bachelor pen will solve your problem. Hens don't need roosters to be happy. And rooster can do quite well living in a bachelor flock. Make sure you have lots of room in your bachelor pen so if there is a conflict there is room for the loser to get out of the way. However, if you are happier keeping a few hens with each rooster that will work, too. And you can have multiple roosters in the same flock if you have enough room. In this case, flocks who free range usually get along because they can maintain the space needed to keep the peace. There will be conflicts and squabbles with a flock with multiple roosters and most of the time there is minor damage. But if you have an aggressive rooster there will be bloodshed and you have to make the decision to either cull the rooster or rehome him. Whatever your decision is, just make sure there is plenty of room for the chickens to be chickens.

Splitting them up would not give many hens for each roo. This could be really hard on the hens. Keeping them all together would mean the same with not many hens, but sometimes a dominant roo could keep the over mating in check. Not always the case and introducing the cockeral could be a challenge. If you really want to keep them all I would suggest a bachelor's pad.

Hi there!

You will have to keep the roosters together in a separate coop if you want to keep all three. The reason you can divide 7 hens to 3 roosters is because the roosters will be mounting the hens all the time, and if there are only a few hens, all of the hens in that flock will be stressed, sore, and bleeding on their backs. Also, if the rooster picked a favorite - he could kill her eventually.

People say the minimum number of hens to a rooster is 8, so you could make it work with 7 hens and 1 rooster.

For your last question: NO. they would instantly start fighting to the death over the hens.

I am a big softy when it comes to animals. Also, I want to give the boys a chance if I can give it to them. They are more like pets to me and I do not eat meat, so culling is not an option I want to pursue. Yes, they can be a big pain the butt, but I bought so i'm gonna try to deal with it. Thanks for the input tho!

I am a big softy when it comes to animals. Also, I want to give the boys a chance if I can give it to them. They are more like pets to me and I do not eat meat, so culling is not an option I want to pursue. Yes, they can be a big pain the butt, but I bought so i'm gonna try to deal with it. Thanks for the input tho!
I can understand how you feel. It is difficult to accept, but there are a lot more roosters than homes for them. Some give the extra males to people who want them, and ask no questions about why. Craig's List if filled with free roosters around here. If you do not want to eat them, that is one option. If you are determined to try and keep all 3, one coop for the girls and one for the boys is the least amount of coop cleaning! Best of luck!

I usually get straight run chickens when I order them, because I hate the thought of the hatcheries disposing of the extra males. I feel that raising and eating them is better than the alternative for them. I do eat the males, they have a nice life for 10-14 weeks. They live a nice chicken life with grass and sun, much better than the birds in the store ever got in their 6 to 8 week lifetimes. So I am also a "softie", just with a little different perspective. Your roosters have had a great life, compared to the alternative, even when you eat them as soon as they start to be annoying. Since you have posted here under "managing your flock", sometimes management requires reduction in the number of males. Is your goal to breed your own replacement layers? Do you even want any males, since you might only want eggs? Maybe think of your goal -- the reason why you keep chickens? :D

I usually get straight run chickens when I order them, because I hate the thought of the hatcheries disposing of the extra males. I feel that raising and eating them is better than the alternative for them. I do eat the males, they have a nice life for 10-14 weeks. They live a nice chicken life with grass and sun, much better than the birds in the store ever got in their 6 to 8 week lifetimes. So I am also a "softie", just with a little different perspective. Your roosters have had a great life, compared to the alternative, even when you eat them as soon as they start to be annoying. Since you have posted here under "managing your flock", sometimes management requires reduction in the number of males. Is your goal to breed your own replacement layers? Do you even want any males, since you might only want eggs? Maybe think of your goal -- the reason why you keep chickens? :D
Yes, I thought of possibly down the road of breeding. The roosters I have are Swedish Flower, Frost Cream Legbar and a Super Blue...so we will see. I should be good for a couple years with what I have, unless something unexpected happens. I'm just waiting on an automatic door to control the early morning crow. But the bachelors will have a lot of space with with 2 coops enclosed in a 10x10 area with an additional 10x20 run. I will just have to alternate evening free ranging time.

It will work until it doesn’t. There really isn’t any way to predict. IMO roosters take a bit of experience, multiple roosters take a lot more experience and a lot more space. Wishing they will all get along seldom works.

do have a plan B, have it set up and ready to go. Have a way you can pull fighting birds apart, a hook or fish net.

do have a way to give you hens a break, especially young roosters. Roosters do not get the concept of these are your hens, and these are mine. Each will want them all.

I understand that you want pets, and hope you can make it work, but some roosters don’t read that memo.

mk

Back
Top Bottom