Sexing Sebastopol Geese

Vent sexing, or DNA sexing. Sometimes you can tell by the voice. Females are a little lower sounding and males more shrill. Males sometimes walk more upright and are often bigger. Or you can wait for them to lay eggs.

Thanks. Looks like I will have to be patient for next spring and find out. I have one that gets in my lap and snuggles with me. I really want to know if that one is a boy.

VENT SEXING
There is no way to tell for sure besides having an experienced vent sexing person
do this for you. You can watch the vent sexing video and try it which I did last year and it seemed
easy enough BUT it's not always 100% accurate. Obviously if a penis pops out its a male but I had
one gosling last year that didn't show a penis despite vent sexing several times so I assumed
it was a female until around 5 - 6 months old when it started to look like a male I vent sexed it again
and out popped a penis. Practice on wee ones but recheck after 3 months old.
Vent sexing video
vent-sexing-baby-goslings-ducklings-t362.html

DNA SEXING
You can get birds feathers tested for DNA and its cost around $20 per bird
at http://www.dnasexing.com

Sexing by Down Color
In white Sebastopols the females typically have yellow down with a grey cap and saddle.
The males will run from all yellow to yellow with a light silver wash over their back and sometimes head
or they may have a light grey saddle but no cap. This is not always 100% accurate.

What percentage of the time would you say feather sexing is right with the white Sebastopol goslings?

Back
Top Bottom