Seems egg bound, smells dreadful, plus blood and maybe maggots, but she's still perky

Siyabonga Mama

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Kennewick, Eastern Washington
I've spent the past couple days googling chicken ailments nonstop, and I'm completely overwhelmed. I don't know whether I have several different things going on at once, or what. I've been keeping chickens for a few years - they're not exactly pets, but I'm fond of them and want to do right by them.
0819180330a.jpg

1) Gold Sex Link hen, about 5 months old, haven't weighed her but she seems about normal.

2) Friday afternoon I noticed her huddled in a corner of the pen, away from the rest of the flock. When I went to check on her I realized she wasn't walking properly - sort of staggery, and sitting down a lot. Her vent seemed a bit swollen, and when I palpated it clear liquid came out, and then a bit of blood. She smelled pretty bad. I put her in a crate and took her to a friend who knows about chickens, who said she might have an egg stuck inside but too high up to feel. We gave her water and some grain; she was thirsty and also ate some. She was sitting up and looking perky. When I got home I gave her some fried rice to eat, which she seemed to enjoy. I gave her water with ACV and she really liked that.

Saturday morning I checked her and there appeared to be a huge egg just inside her vent. I couldn't see any shell, and wasn't sure how to probe inside without hurting her. Also on the outside of the vent area there's looks like a sort of tear in the tissue - not a wound so much as an exaggerated stretch mark that's become a patch of dry (dead?) skin. I soaked her in warm water with Dawn soap for about 15-20 minutes (deep enough to cover her vent completely) - she was very relaxed and almost floating. Her vent was very dirty so I washed it. I noticed she was pecking at something in the water; there were maggots floating in there! Not a huge number, but enough for a snack I guess - ICK. I massaged her belly and around the swelling. Then I towel dried her, massaged veg oil around the vent, and put her back in the crate with a fresh thick blanket. I examined her all over but couldn't see where the maggots were from.

Saturday afternoon the lump I'd assumed was an egg was way smaller, as though it had moved back up inside her a bit. She still seemed quite perky. Still no sign of maggots. Still can't stand. Comb still red but drooping. By this time I'd learned a bit more about treatments so gave her 1 cc of Poultry Nutri-Drench, which she enjoyed. Later I scrambled an egg for her, and mixed in a crushed calcium tablet, about 600 ml. She ate about half the tablet, maybe 1/3 of the egg.

Now around 3AM Sunday, I've checked her again. She was panting, beak wide open. The lump, which I assume is her egg, is enormous. Her vent is swollen, and she's red all around that area. No maggots, but she reeks. Hard to say whether she's lethargic ... it's 3AM, after all; she thinks I'm insane, waking her up to look at her butt. She was covered with diarrhea; I upended her and cleaned it off with paper towel dipped in warm water and ACV, then doused the area with Vitamin E oil. (When I cleaned her the paper was bloody.)

4) I have 20 hens and a roo, and she appears to be the only sick one, so far - although I treated everyone for leg mites about 6 weeks ago, and it looks as though I didn't quite beat the little devils so more treatments will be happening in the near future.

7) I recently started a compost heap in a large fenced off section of the chicken run. It contains lots of leaves, veggie garden and kitchen scraps, weeds and straw. The chickens love it and spend a lot of time scratching around in it. Most of them seem to be thriving on it. They also get free fed layer pellets, cracked corn, and oyster shell. They're in a large run that contains several fruit trees, so at the moment they're eating as many apricots and nectarines as they want, and they're just starting on pears. Their house is about 6X6 feet, wood with polystyrene to insulate the metal roof. The bedding is currently mainly wood shavings and bedding pellets (the same as I use for horses), on top of vinyl. Their nesting boxes are currently a bit poopy and need to be cleaned - will do all that as part of the leg mite treatment process.

10 ) I'd like to treat this myself as far as possible. Our budget doesn't really run to a vet for chickens. On the other hand, this is looking complicated enough that it might be worth going to a vet just to learn - and also to verify that there isn't something going on that's contagious. Also, she's a young hen ... I can handle euthanizing an older bird who is suffering and appears to be on her way out anyway, but although this girl has to be uncomfortable, she's also still alert.

IMHO, she has something seriously wrong inside her. I would guess that since it has now been going on for quite a while, it might be in her best interest to put her down and do an autopsy to find out what was going on inside her. :oops: If there were maggots before, you can almost guarantee there are more. If you've checked her thoroughly and can't find an external source, they are inside her, in which case, she's being eaten from the inside out.

ETA:
Greetings and welcome to BYC from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason that brought you here. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Keep repeating the bathes until you no longer are seeing maggots. Epsom salts in the water is good to use. Apply some plain Neosporing ointment to the vent and wound. They should help to smother them. Permethrin spray is good to kill maggots. New maggots can hatch out in several hours. When there are flies out in hot weather, they can lay eggs on poopy vents or on wounds. Flystrike is the name of this, and it can be deadly. In some cases there can be an underlying illness that may make them more susceptible to fly strike. Here is a good article to read:
https://www.google.com/search?q=flystrike+chickens&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

As this hen is only 5 months old I’d put time into her today rather than suggest you euthanize her straight off the bat.
These are some steps I’d take this morning.

Re-administer the calcium supplement you gave her yesterday. She needs it to expel an egg. You could break a tablet into small pieces and feed it to her or pulverize it and give it to her in yogurt, applesauce, even hide it in a piece of a grape or bit of bread.

Soak her in warm water with Epsom salts -20 minutes or so at a time, a least a few times today.
A sink, sanitary tub, bucket or bathroom wastebasket will do.

Glove up and lubricate a finger or two and explore her vent. Is there an egg up there?

If poop is able to pass, she is not completely blocked so all hope is not lost.

Maggot wounds stink. I’d follow my nose and search her body inch by inch fanning out from her vent for a maggot-infested wound. Flush with peroxide.
Go at them with tweezers.

If you find the area with maggots it I’d post a cleat picture here for further assistance.

Thank you all for taking the time to advise me! So here's an update, and I'd appreciate more advice going forward. The good news is that when I finally took her out of the crate today, I found her egg!!! Not all that big and a bit bloody and poopy, also the shell was quite rough. I've also gone over every inch of her, including poking inside her vent, and I can't find any maggots.

The bad news is, she's still not well. She's awfully skinny, and isn't eating much - I've offered her grated apple, grated zucchini, mint leaves, a rosemary sprig, clover, grass, tomato, sausage, cracked corn, layer pellets. She nibbled and tasted, but wasn't that interested. I even offered up one of my precious earthworms, which excited her and she grabbed it, but I don't know how much of it she actually swallowed. The only thing I know for sure she's swallowed is flies - she catches them out of the air ... so the lady is FAR from ready to quit life!

Apart from that, sometimes she sits with her mouth open, even though it's not especially hot. Could that be stress or fever? Her comb (dark purple on top, dark red on the base) is still floppy. Her vent is still swollen and red. I hesitate to call her lethargic, but she's sleepy. She's also a lot more passive than I expect ... All my younger girls have been handled and have lovely, gentle temperaments, but she is so completely relaxed, no matter what I do to her, it seems odd. She still has rancid diarrhea. Most worrying, she still can't walk, or even stand.

Latestarter, you may be right; I don't know if I can pull her through this. On the other hand, she doesn't have that floppy-neck dying chicken look about her, she doesn't seem to be actually suffering and she did manage to pop out her egg. I know whacking off heads is a part of raising backyard chickens on a limited budget and I've done it with hens who were clearly beyond any help I could offer ... but I'm not ready to give up on her. This may sound nuts, but I feel as though she trusts me to help her.

So here's what I've done for her today - and thank you all again for the advice:
1. I sprinkled another crushed calcium tablet over the selection of food I offered her. I felt that since she'd laid her egg she didn't need calcium urgently, but it couldn't hurt. I've also given her oyster shell and grit.
2. I'm continuing to offer water with ACV.
3. I soaked her for about 20 minutes in a warm epsom salts bath. Again, although she'd laid her egg, I figured it wouldn't hurt to help her relax and absorb minerals - plus that butt needed cleaning.
4. While she was soaking I dosed her a second time with 1 cc Nutri-Drench.
5. I washed her vent and belly with oatmeal dog shampoo - soaking didn't get rid of all the stinkiness, and she's still not exactly fragrant.
6. I wrapped her up in a towel to dry her, and finished the job with a hair dryer - she is fluffy again... :) I still need to put antibiotic ointment around her vent; need to get some.+
7. I put her back in her crate, and will probably not bother her again until tomorrow.

Concerns:
1. I know Marek's is a possibility. I checked the rest of my flock and only one is out of sorts - and she's an older hen who is in molt and also seems broody. So before I get into a flap about Marek's, I would like to consider the possibility of a nutrient deficiency. Is there anything that she wouldn't have got from a double dose of Nutri-Drench?
2. Is it possible that I hurt her beak when I force-fed her Nutri-Drench yesterday? She was a bit resistant at first; I pried it open with my finger nail and then caught her beak on both sides when it was open. I don't think I yanked her around too much, but it was weird that she really wanted that earthworm but couldn't seem to swallow it.
3. Our dirt is very fine, and I hadn't realized they'd run out of grit in the run. I don't usually worry about it because for much of the year they have free roam of the veggie garden, and I figure they'll find enough random tiny bits of rock to take care of things. She didn't take up any of the grit I offered while I was watching ... Is there anything I should do to check her crop?
4. I haven't dewormed them, and I know from reading BYC that this is necessary. Should I do more than add ACV to the water?

Thank you to those who read this very long essay!

I sure hope your efforts are rewarded. :hugs You're obviously not throwing in the towel. Nobody wants to, or looks forward to, calling the saving effort quits and ending a life. A designated kill for freezer/food is one thing as it's a planned thing. Euthanasia is a whole nuther subject.

Problem is, chickens, being prey animals and dinner for just about everything, tend to hide illness very well until they are no longer able to. It makes it difficult to be sure if there's been a turn for the better or life is still ebbing away. :confused: In many cases, they're already "done for" by the time we even recognize there's something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom