Sally's GF3 thread

I've been hoping to find someone willing to place a hive on my place for years but no takers as yet.

I don't need another chore to do, but I sure could use some bees. I miss them!
Maybe next year. I can't imagine trying to deal with harvesting the honey, but I'm sure I could just let them keep it, or let someone else harvest it.

I'm a sucker for anything natural, so the idea of natural beekeeping of course intrigues me no end. I love the tree hives that have been done in forests. Would love to replicate that. But I'm getting awfully old for climbing trees. LOL

https://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/tree-beekeeping

I'd never heard of tree beekeeping. Very interesting, and it makes sense. Thanks for the link.

I've read people start keeping bees for the bees, but get out of it because of the work with the honey. I guess I'll find out more about that this fall, if they make enough. I've read you need to leave 60 pounds of honey in the hive for them to eat during the winter. I'm guessing there won't be honey for me until next year.

Ed, my bee guru, always has honey for sale, so I can get some from him until then. I also told him when he harvests and extracts later this year that I want to be there to help.

I meant to post more pictures of the bee install. Hubby is doing the handling, I'm taking the pictures.
View attachment 3505781
We had the nuc box in a mesh bag in the back seat of the car. "Nuc" is short for "nucleus colony." It's 5 frames of drawn comb. There's brood of varying ages, some honey, the queen, and lots of bees. 6000-8000 bees.
View attachment 3505783
It's important that the 5 nuc frames go into the hive in the same order they were in the nuc box. I have 8 frame boxes. Then when I have a box full of honey, it'll only weigh about 60 pounds, instead of 80.
View attachment 3505791
All nice and snug now.
View attachment 3505796
There were a few bees still in the box, so we left the box sitting on the ground in front of the hive.
Very nice, how exciting!

They're here!!!!
IMG_E3475.JPG

About 24 hours after I got the shipping notice from Mt. Healthy, I got a call from the Post Office.

Meet Sunny, Robin, Pip, Squeak, and Button. 4 Bielefelders and 1 Blue Australorp (Button). They gave me an extra Biel.

They are in the brooder, have had a drink, and pecked at food. Right now, they're under the heater plate, quiet and resting after their shipping ordeal.

IMG_E3478.JPG

IMG_E3488.JPG

I think my brain might explode with the cuteness overload!

They're here!!!!
View attachment 3506011
About 24 hours after I got the shipping notice from Mt. Healthy, I got a call from the Post Office.

Meet Sunny, Robin, Pip, Squeak, and Button. 4 Bielefelders and 1 Blue Australorp (Button). They gave me an extra Biel.

They are in the brooder, have had a drink, and pecked at food. Right now, they're under the heater plate, quiet and resting after their shipping ordeal.

View attachment 3506020
View attachment 3506021
I think my brain might explode with the cuteness overload!
Aww....:love

Back
Top Bottom