Sally's GF3 thread

"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The state has found avian influenza at a commercial poultry farm in Ionia County.

This is the fourth confirmed case of highly pathogenic avian influence (HPAI) at a commercial poultry operation in Michigan since 2022, and the first in Ionia County, according to a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development news release.

"To protect other flocks, the state said the premises are under quarantine and “the birds will be depopulated.” The state did not release the name of the farm."

If it is Herbrucks, they are a huge egg producing facility.

I posted more info about the AI found in Michigan
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...south-carolina.1507893/page-180#post-27629891

I'm nervous, for sure. My chickens will remain, as always, under cover. There isn't anything more I can do.

Herbruck's has had fires at their facility not once, but twice. I don't know which one, if it was the same, or what happened other than the snippet that was in the news a few years ago. I'm not impressed with their safety protocol, though.

Tonight we have a bee club meeting. Because it's 45+ minutes away, we'll make it an errand run and dinner out as well.

Hubby has new glasses to pick up.

I want to go to Flowerland and check out their potted plants. Their website says they have Trumpet Vine, and if so, I will pay the $$ if they look like they'll bloom this year. They can take 3-5 years to bloom, I guess, if they're started from seed. I bought a small one at TSC, but I want blooms this year. Bee-cause the bees love them! (ha ha)

Yes, I have read that they are invasive. If they get unruly out in the field and fight with the brome grass, well, more power to 'em! But I don't think they'll get the upper hand here, with our winters.

I'm also hoping they have Purple Coneflower and New England Aster. My NEA seeds seem very hesitant to sprout. :hmm

"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The state has found avian influenza at a commercial poultry farm in Ionia County.

This is the fourth confirmed case of highly pathogenic avian influence (HPAI) at a commercial poultry operation in Michigan since 2022, and the first in Ionia County, according to a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development news release.

"To protect other flocks, the state said the premises are under quarantine and “the birds will be depopulated.” The state did not release the name of the farm."

If it is Herbrucks, they are a huge egg producing facility.
I found out how they "depopulate", and it's despicable, cruel.
:hit:mad::rant

Pip has laid another membrane-only egg, and it's a big one. And another lash egg, bigger than the first. I didn't take pictures. Button, another one of the pullets, really likes to eat eggs when she finds a broken one, and I had to get it out of there intact.

I'll be starting another round of lotus leaf extract and calcium citrate.

I'd seen Pip in her favorite nest box, and she might have laid a normal egg, but I don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom