BReeder!

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
My Coop
I have 3 Rouen ducklings. I am fairly certain they are production Rouens, not show. We purchased them Blain's Farm & Fleet. They are just over 2 weeks old now. We have been feeding them duckling grower feed. They have access to water as well. We used a clean garbage can lid that's about 2'x2' as a tray and have a bell waterer on it. They garbage can lid fills up from their splashing and dribbling and creates a nice puddle for the ducklings to play in. They are currently housed in a large (4'x2.5') dog crate with 1 chicken pal that's 4-5 weeks old now. The dog crate is located in our chicken coop built into our shed. It stays warm, but not too hot. We've been in the mid 70's outside mostly which has been perfect for the ducklings as it's in the upper 70's to low 80's in the coop generally. We have used a heat lamp on occasion as needed also.

Am I doing things right so far?

When the ducklings feather out, I intend to give them access to our 1500 gallon ornamental pond, which is just next to the shed. I'm going to build their duck house into the shed in a ~4'x4' area under the chicken's roosts and poop board. The board prevents any poop from actually falling bellow. I went to block off the area anyway so my chickens stop laying in the corner under there, which forces us to crawl under the poop board (about 3.5' off the ground) to get 4' back to collect the eggs. The ducks will have a sliding door that will give them access to the pond when open during the day. The pond is fenced in with a 3' fence to keep kids and dogs out. The fenced in area is roughly 15'x12' with a 10'x5' pond in it. Will a 3' fence keep Rouens in though? I have read that they are very poor fliers and that tall fencing is not necessary. Just wondering if 3' is tall enough... I could put netting over the fenced in area if necessary. I would like to not have to though as it would restrict access to the area and predators are very limited in my area.

Sounds pretty good to me! You have a good plan. I would cover the area with a net. I am betting there are hawks where you are and they'd like nothing better than a duck dinner. Even if your ducks are grown they can swoop down and kill and eat them right in the duck run.

The voice of experience here! I made that mistake and walked into a horrible scene in the middle of the day! Netting went up the next day.

Yes, it is a pain to walk under, but your area doesn't seem too large so maybe you could build a frame for it? We had a lot of PVC pipe in the barn and built a frame using that since we had it anyway. Where we used that I can walk under it only having to duck down a little bit.

Sounds pretty good to me! You have a good plan. I would cover the area with a net. I am betting there are hawks where you are and they'd like nothing better than a duck dinner. Even if your ducks are grown they can swoop down and kill and eat them right in the duck run.

The voice of experience here! I made that mistake and walked into a horrible scene in the middle of the day! Netting went up the next day.

Yes, it is a pain to walk under, but your area doesn't seem too large so maybe you could build a frame for it? We had a lot of PVC pipe in the barn and built a frame using that since we had it anyway. Where we used that I can walk under it only having to duck down a little bit.
Since the pond is next to our shed/coop, I could string cables from the roof across to the fence on the opposite side of the pond. Netting suspending by the cables would be about 10ft up on the shed/coop side, but only 3ft up on the fence. I did this on the other side of the shed/coop for our chicken run, but that has a 6ft fence the cables connected to so there's plenty of walking space under the entire netted area. I guess I could attach PVC or lumber to the corner posts of the 3ft fence to raise the height of the netting on that side.

Here's some pics of netting attached over the chicken run. Don't mind some of the mess in the first pic. We have been cleaning the run area slowly but surely. It used to be a catchall area for garden and yard stuff that we wanted out of site. The netting is hard to see in the first picture, but it shows the headroom we have. There's a cable running from the corner of the shed/coop roof to the top of the corner post of the fence. The netting is suspended by that cable. The second picture shows a better image of the cable and netting configuration at another corner of the shed/coop roof.
20190426_200655.jpg
20190426_200711.jpg

Here's a picture of the pond area. Apologies, this was during the build phase last year. The 3ft white fencing now wraps around the back side of the pond as well and there's a 6ft fence (with a gate into the pond area) that runs from the corner of the shed/coop back to the 6ft fence on the property line to enclose the chicken run the wraps around the back to the other side of the shed.
20180610_145017.jpg

That looks perfect! I've got a 4' fence on one side and the taller pvc pipes on the other and it works just fine. I just try not to place their food or water buckets on the "short" side. The main thing is to get it covered and I never thought of using cables. I really like that instead of the skinny wood I've been using for supports. With that, you won't have to worry about anything getting them from above. It's a good feeling!

Back
Top Bottom