Duck drama!

TunaMooCookieChallah

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
So, I have two of my female call ducks that I let free range during the day with their mates (these are my first generation calls, who have a very predictable routine). Lately, one of the drakes comes in way earlier with the other mated pair and I have a hard time getting Cookie (F) out of the pond. I have had to leave her overnight sometimes, which gives me so much anxiety as I live in a heavily wooded area with many predators. The other day I walked out to the duck enclosure and a morgenster of all things was seated right next to Cookie with the fencing separating them. He took off when he saw me, but I’m 99% that’s what it was- I will try to get a picture. She is stepping out on Moo (drake) and spending a few nights with the morgenster I think. He is always following them around the pond! Just thought it was funny I have a duck soap opera going on! Anyway, she is still actively producing an egg every other day in her nest box and I’m curious if they are able to cross breed? Google had conflicting answers. I have a few of her eggs in the incubator now, so if it’s possible I guess we shall see! In the meantime, enjoy this photo of one of the new ducklings. If anyone has a funny name suggestion for the wild morgenster please let me know. I’m so invested in this. 😆

Attachments

• IMG_6363.jpeg
    IMG_6363.jpeg
    924.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom