Rotten egg exploded under hen Day 16

BenP

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
I have a Buff Brahma bantam hen sitting on eggs, this morning i noticed the smell and she was sitting beside the eggs. Turns out one of the eggs was rotten and broke, the eggs surrounding that one got partially covered, I removed the broken egg and raplaced the nesting material. I wiped the others best i could at the time to get her back on the eggs. She immediately went back on them. Question is should be taking those eggs and washing them or leave them?

This has happened before with my chickens, normally I try to take them out as soon as I find them, but you hens will actually eat the rotten egg or a good egg that simply breaks. They won't always full eat the egg, so I would try to replace the pine shavings shortly after. If you are taking out the dirty eggs to wash them, I would wash them but not put them back in the coop. Chickens aren't really picky about how clean their living space is. I would consider getting fake eggs. I use three which work really well that I clean every month or so.

Back
Top Bottom