roosts- stain or no stain?

HilaryH-RI

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2019
Tiverton, RI
Hello Backyard chicken forum friends,

I am finishing up staining the pieces of my coop before I assemble, almost time to get my 7 week chicks moved out! I am a first time chicken owner. I wondered if I can stain the roost bars that go in to coop? (also one outside coop) Or is it better to leave the pine untreated for the roosts.

thank you in advance for any tips.
-Hilary

You can stain or even paint them if you want, not sure if it really has a benefit other than visual appeal. As long as any treatment you use isn't toxic or slippery it should be fine.

I wish I had painted my roosts in the coop, I feel like they'd be easier to clean if I were to do a deep clean.

I did paint the nest boxes for that reason, just wish I had thought about doing the roosts too. Too late to move them all out now though!

I like something rough for the feet to grip. Claws dig in and might cause paint to chip and peel, stain might be better for retaining the texture. Some like white wash in the inside of the coop, it is made with lime and kills insects.

I am going to varnish or paint mine this time (I'm building a new coop). I feel like on untreated wood any poo or mud on the chooks feet sticks and it's hard to clean. If they are 2x3 or 2x4 the chickens will be able to hold on and they will be easier to wipe down.

Back
Top Bottom