Roosters kill each other?

RoyalHillsLLC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
NW Louisiana-Vivian
We have a bunch of chicks, "assorted bantams" of all shapes, sizes, and colors. We had 15 yesterday and have 14 today. They were born around the end of February and are getting pretty good sized now. My best guess was 6 roosters and 9 hens.
One of the roosters, a very small white and black one, came up dead in the pen. I had just started noticing some aggressive behavior by one of the larger roosters the day before. Do y'all think the other roosters could have killed him? I have a very secure new pen I just built and there was no evidence of any predators entering the pen. His neck and under his wing had torn looking wounds with a few feathers missing.
Do I have to get rid of more roosters soon to prevent them fighting?

Royal, too many roos is a serious problem.

The answer is yes, and it's best to have only one male for 10 to 12 females.

I'm not saying that's how the smaller died, however the situation won't get better.

bigzio

roosters love to fight esp for top roo position.an they will fight to the death sometimes.all you need is 1 roo to 12 hens.the more roos you have the more they fight.

The only way you'll know for sure how the roo died is to get a necropsy. But the others are correct in saying that, even if that isn't how he died, it very well could be that more roosters will be killed if they aren't removed.

Back
Top Bottom