Rooster kicking and falling over

mindy012

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
So this morning I went out to check on my chickens like I usually do and I noticed he wasn’t moving around much and he was eating a lot and drinking a lot. I’m not sure if it’s a separate problem but my mom hadn’t fed any of the chickens in like 2 days so maybe he was just really hungry. But I noticed he kinda fell forward when he tried to eat and he started jumping and kicking really hard in the air and he keeps opening his mouth wide every few seconds. He’s still eating and drinking and he’s aware of what’s going on, he walks but not too fast.
Do any chicken experts know what’s wrong with him?
He’s a mini chicken and he’s 9 months old.

It can be dangerous for chickens to run out of food or water. Does that happen often? They will gorge themselves and possibly overeat or have crop issues. I would observe him, possibly isolate him with just water for the rest of the day.

It can be dangerous for chickens to run out of food or water. Does that happen often? They will gorge themselves and possibly overeat or have crop issues. I would observe him, possibly isolate him with just water for the rest of the day.
I’m not sure if it happens often. They’re my chickens but my mom raises them so they’re basically hers.

Just scratch feed. I gave him some chick feed just now and an egg.
Unfortunately, scratch is not a feed, it's a treat. It's high in fat and carbs and low in essential nutrition. Your rooster has vitamin/ nutrition deficiency.
Give him 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks and possibly switch to a formulated feed.

Chickens will overeat on scratch or corn. With a balanced chicken feed, they will eat some gradually throughout the day. Layer feed or Flock raiser feed are both good. Crushed oystershell should be placed in a separate container for extra calcium to lay eggs.

Chickens will overeat on scratch or corn. With a balanced chicken feed, they will eat some gradually throughout the day. Layer feed or Flock raiser feed are both good. Crushed oystershell should be placed in a separate container for extra calcium to lay eggs.
Okay thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom