Rooster is making my hen bleed!

mattdog1995

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Elizabeth City, NC
About a week ago I got four new hens from an auction and put them in a pen with a rooster i already had. The rooster and the hens are near the same age i believe. Anyway theres one of the hens in particular that my rooster loves to aggravate. Of course he is a horny birdbrain like most roosters are, but when he grabs this hen he his pecking and grabbing her comb, causing it to bleed kinda bad. Is there any solution? I kinda thought thats just what happens naturally? Thanks!
sad.png

Yes and no. Many roosters are gentler than this -- and many are not. I would not hatch any chicks from him.

I need advice ! I've only raised chicks since last spring. (Because i think ya'll need to know the dynamics first) I ended up losing one right away of foir who lived together on a chicken farm. Oit of the three left,one turned out to be a roo (leghorn) one of EE (said to be americana) amd the other i am still unsure if its a silkie roo or hen . Doesn't crow ,doeant lay (beginning to look like a roo now that she ia a year old) and makes a long high pitch sound sometimes recently ...lately she simply tries to survive . The roo started bullying, her only, mounting her until she bleeds from claws and sometimes will not allow her to eat. I have already seperated them different times, each time its ok for bit when i reintroduce only to begin again. She has gotten yeast infection in past from stress and improper nutrition. Ugh!
As it turns out we'd like to keep the leghorn to breed. Although he has had a few moments only lately of aggression towards me and my family but not all the time . What should we do with the silkie ? Is the leghorn going to tolerate more hens that i will be slowly adding to the flock now?

Do not keep a mean rooster. Why should your hens suffer so? It's not fair, I couldn't stand to see any of my hens be treated like that. I would never allow my dog to live a tortured life so why any of my chickens!
barnie.gif

I see your point ,make no mistake. You mention dogs ,I would not get rid of my dogs who shows signs of protecting us ,there are certain behaviors like growling and such that's considered to be the dog's job. This rooster only shows signs ,not harming us ,such as squaking at us at times or puffing up feathers at times when we approach his girls.The mean behavior toward the one hen (or roo?) ... I need to know if ALL of this new and recent behavior is becasue this silkie may be a roo and so its a dominance thing? ( remember he does no harm at all to the other girls. I do however like knowing he protects the flock!! ) certainly if he turned into a nightmare to all ,yes i would not keep him so lets not get too excited here! Thank you . its only fair to all the chickens to do some investigation first to even know what or where they go if not kept. Meanwhile i can seperate again if necessary as all is well when the silkie is not in the mix ,period ! Maybe i've just answered my own question...

I was referring to the rooster that brought blood on the hen.

You're talking to someone who was spurred to the bone on both legs by a rooster last year. I gave that rooster too many chances and one morning while walking to their feeder to fill it he got me from behind on my right leg (two places) and then when I tried to defend myself while trying to get out of the pen he got my left leg (two places). It's quite painful and requires that you take an antibiotic, meaning a trip to the ER since it happened on the weekend. I had sold my black rooster (he was eaten) due to his behavior and this rooster was the nice one. He changed overnight and was became worse than the black rooster.

I have a rooster now that so far has been nice and I'm nice to him but...if he ever comes at me...he's gone. I will not live in fear of a rooster again.

We had to get rid of a dog that we got for our dog. We thought she would like the company since we both worked and were gone so much, wrong. Both dogs were Blue Heelers but the older dog was so mean to the younger dog it just wasn't fair or a good life for him. He went to live with some friends of ours, he even got to live inside their house so he had a much better life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom