Rooster has poop stuck on his bottom

When you use AVC not to use metal containers as it causes a toxic reaction, so I've read. You could try fermenting his feed too but clipping the butt feathers helps. What are you feeding him?
Yes, thank you! I put away the metal water bucket for the ACV! I feed him a regular feed for rooster with grains and seeds. I give fresh salad greens regularly and a piece of fresh fruit occasionally like couple of blueberries or half strawberry or a piece of apple oh and occasional 1/2 hard boiled egg. Nothing unusual. No old or bad food. He gets out around the yard most days as long as I am home to supervise. I see him dig for bugs. He has regular dirt and sunbaths. We put cedar perches and I spray bug MD once in a while as he had mites once on his legs and feet , I think from the wild birds that visit with him. No problem since. Could he have worms causing the problem? He is very old. I have lived here 13 years and he was born not long after we moved here. All of the others have passed.

Yes, thank you! I put away the metal water bucket for the ACV! I feed him a regular feed for rooster with grains and seeds. I give fresh salad greens regularly and a piece of fresh fruit occasionally like couple of blueberries or half strawberry or a piece of apple oh and occasional 1/2 hard boiled egg. Nothing unusual. No old or bad food. He gets out around the yard most days as long as I am home to supervise. I see him dig for bugs. He has regular dirt and sunbaths. We put cedar perches and I spray bug MD once in a while as he had mites once on his legs and feet , I think from the wild birds that visit with him. No problem since. Could he have worms causing the problem? He is very old. I have lived here 13 years and he was born not long after we moved here. All of the others have passed.
I know from experience too much "greens" maybe the cause of loose poop. Try for a couple of weeks, no more green salads ... I've found my girls poop gets softer with it. Does the cedar perch give off an odor? It's been said that cedar may cause respiratory issues ... You could apply some Vaseline to his legs and keep his coop dusted with Poultry Dust or even DE. Yes, those wild birds are the cause of mites/lice on our birds.

I know from experience too much "greens" maybe the cause of loose poop. Try for a couple of weeks, no more green salads ... I've found my girls poop gets softer with it. Does the cedar perch give off an odor? It's been said that cedar may cause respiratory issues ... You could apply some Vaseline to his legs and keep his coop dusted with Poultry Dust or even DE. Yes, those wild birds are the cause of mites/lice on our birds.
I will cut back on the greens. He LOVES them. I do put Vaseline on the legs and feet and no, the cedar does not give off odor as far as we can tell and I oiled it with Vaseline when we installed it! Thank you so much.This has been a huge help. I did give a little celery leaf today. I have friends that dump all over of their leftover"stuff" in the chicken house and they are fine!! One neighbor stops to pick up cardboard boxes of leftover veges from a local restaurant. They leave it behind and she gets it coming home from work and feeds it right to the chickens! I guess I have a very spoiled and sensitive boy! As I thought also his age may have to do with it.Thanks again. Little or no greens for a while and we'll see!

Forgot, you could also trim the butt feathers ... I've had a hen or two that just pooped messy, I'd trim their butt feathering ... Looked funny but less mess.
Thank you. The feathers came out with the hard poop balls! It's quite bare back there! I don't think it hut him it was inflamed and soft and the feathers just slid out. He was not fussing and so happy to get unblocked. Possibly too many greens, his favorite. I will reintroduce then occasionally in a week or two. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom