Rooster has poop stuck on his bottom

maricela8492

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
My rooster has poop stuck on his bottom! I'm so worried about him he looks so sad and has been very distant from the rest of the flock! He's not eating. I have tried to clean him up but there is a lot of poop! I also filled a tub with warm water and it helped a little but there is a lot!! Any advice!!! I don't want him to die!

You may want to post a picture so we can see the problem. When you say "his bottom", I'm assuming you mean his vent? Or the feathering under the vent?

Is he eating? Drinking? Pooping? Is he having constant soft poop? Try soaking again & massage the mass, trying to loosen it off. How close to his skin is the clump? If theres a space, maybe VERY CAREFULLY cutting away the mass?

You need to figure out what's causing him to have a messy butt. How long has this been? Are any others having "pasty butt" problems? Try mixing some ACV with Mother in their water (1 - 2 T to a gallon) making sure its a plastic waterer, change out daily. See if he'll eat some plain yogurt.

It's been warm, chickens drink more water, hence looser poop but it could also be worms. Others will be peeping in with their thoughts & advice.

Yes his vent, the only reason I noticed he had poop was because he started picking his fethers that were around his vent area. He's not eating a lot. Also, it looks like his vent area is clogged which is why I'm very worried. I've had hens for 3 years now and never had this happen before. So I'm very worried about him. The clumps are around the vent area and are very hard. I tried wetting the are and softening the clumps but I'm scarred to hurt him. It hasn't been that long he started acting weird 2 days ago. It's been very hot so I thought it was the weather. The rest of the flock seems fine and don't have this problem. We are going to try wetting the vent area again in the morning and keeping an eye on him. Thank you so much for responding I'm so worried about him

You may want to post a picture so we can see the problem. When you say "his bottom", I'm assuming you mean his vent? Or the feathering under the vent?

Is he eating? Drinking? Pooping? Is he having constant soft poop? Try soaking again & massage the mass, trying to loosen it off. How close to his skin is the clump? If theres a space, maybe VERY CAREFULLY cutting away the mass?

You need to figure out what's causing him to have a messy butt. How long has this been? Are any others having "pasty butt" problems? Try mixing some ACV with Mother in their water (1 - 2 T to a gallon) making sure its a plastic waterer, change out daily. See if he'll eat some plain yogurt.

It's been warm, chickens drink more water, hence looser poop but it could also be worms. Others will be peeping in with their thoughts & advice.

I had this with my cockerel not knowing what to do I warmed and cut most of it out it seemed to do the trick what breed of cockerel is he does he have lots of feathers around the vent?

He's a speckled Sussex and is 1 and a half. He doesn't have a lot of feathers around his vent because he pulled them out. Which is why I noticed his vent was plugged. I'm going to try putting water around the vent area tomorrow and home it works!! I'm so worried and don't want to lose him :(

He's a speckled Sussex and is 1 and a half. He doesn't have a lot of feathers around his vent because he pulled them out. Which is why I noticed his vent was plugged. I'm going to try putting water around the vent area tomorrow and home it works!! I'm so worried and don't want to lose him :(

It definitely has to be removed. Try warm mineral OIL. We had that happen to mostly chicks. I am assuming the results would be the same if not corrected. Eventually the poop can back up and cause infection through irritation and from rotting feces back into the rectum. Most will recover if noticed and corrected early enough. I think this happens after some diarrhea causing incident rather than disease. Mineral spirits would be a little harsh. It would be the human equivalent of mixing up the "Icy Hot " or Ben Gay and the "Preparation H " :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you won't loose him just make sure they are gone try cutting the feathers around his vent and hope for the best of you are going to isolate him make sure he isn't alone (apparently they like teddies) I had this problem once and he was still as normal as ever once doing this otou may want some help as Sussex are rather large get someone to hold him upside down so he's calm and try separating the feathers with clean scissors cut out the poo covered ones - good luck!

Please do not use mineral spirits to remove poop from a chickens behind.

What you need is a tub of warm soapy water, gloves, scissors and a pair of pliers.
Soak him in the soapy water for about 10minutes. Work the water into the feathers using your gloved fingers. For hard balls of poop, use your pliers to crush/break them up, this makes it easier to see and get them out. Cut away any remaining poop in the feathers is need be.

Inspect his skin closely for any irritation, wounds and cuts. Pat dry.

If he is impacted with poop - separate him out so you can monitor him. See that he is drinking really well - if he seems constipated add a small amount of molasses to his water one time - molasses has a laxative effect. After he is drinking, then offer food.

When you can, post some photos of him. If he has not been eating/drinking for a couple of days, he may have more going on.

Keep us posted.

It definitely has to be removed. Try warm mineral spirits. We had that happen to mostly chicks. I am assuming the results would be the same if not corrected. Eventually the poop can back up and cause infection through irritation and from rotting feces back into the rectum. Most will recover if noticed and corrected early enough. I think this happens after some diarrhea causing incident rather than disease

Last edited:
I sent a picture! This was a after I've been watering his vent in the tub!

Please do not use mineral spirits to remove poop from a chickens behind.

What you need is a tub of warm soapy water, gloves, scissors and a pair of pliers.
Soak him in the soapy water for about 10minutes. Work the water into the feathers using your gloved fingers. For hard balls of poop, use your pliers to crush/break them up, this makes it easier to see and get them out. Cut away any remaining poop in the feathers is need be.

Inspect his skin closely for any irritation, wounds and cuts. Pat dry.

If he is impacted with poop - separate him out so you can monitor him. See that he is drinking really well - if he seems constipated add a small amount of molasses to his water one time - molasses has a laxative effect. After he is drinking, then offer food.

When you can, post some photos of him. If he has not been eating/drinking for a couple of days, he may have more going on.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

• IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom