Rooster Crow sound is deep and raspy!!

stephanieperun

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2019
Today i went out to collect eggs in my chicken house and my rooster crowed at me. Usually when he does, its the perfect "Cock-A-Doodle Dooooo", but today when i went in there, it sounded raspy and in a lower pitch. So of course i went back into my house and googled a million things to see what was wrong and most answers were a respiratory disease. How can i be sure that is what it is, and what do i do to make my little guy feel better? We recently received three new hens, about 5 days ago. I also live in centrall illinois, so that means terrible weather conditions. My rooster has frostbite as well, but i dont know what to look for and assume. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ps, he sounded good yesterday.

Welcome to BYC! Sorry you are having a bit of trouble with your boy.
How is he otherwise? Eating, drinking, pooping, active?
How is the ventilation in your coop? Is it dusty or does it smell at all of ammonia?
Were these new hens quarantined prior to introducing them to your flock?
Does he have any other respiratory symptoms like bubbles in his eyes, nasal discharge, swelling of his face or open mouth breathing?
Are any other birds exhibiting symptoms? Particularly the new girls.

Welcome to BYC! Sorry you are having a bit of trouble with your boy.
How is he otherwise? Eating, drinking, pooping, active?
How is the ventilation in your coop? Is it dusty or does it smell at all of ammonia?
Were these new hens quarantined prior to introducing them to your flock?
Does he have any other respiratory symptoms like bubbles in his eyes, nasal discharge, swelling of his face or open mouth breathing?
Are any other birds exhibiting symptoms? Particularly the new girls.
I’m still in school so i can’t check up on him throughout the day, i think he is eating, drinking and pooping normally. When i received the hens i put them in a separate home for a day but then i was yelled at by my stepdad. He threw them in the pen with my other chickens a day after i got them. When i went and checked on my rooster earlier, he wouldn’t crow. I think it may hurt him but i tried to mimick him as best as i could and he still would crow back at me. I picked him up and set him on my lap and i did notice that his nose seemed a little stuffed. He had sneezed twice while i was there and was making a low rumbling noise. It was almost like a purr. I tried uploading a video and it wouldn’t let me. He seemed perfectly normal besides all the things i listed.

D614066D-FF07-41CF-B0B7-B3ED0AC41F78.png

I’m still in school so i can’t check up on him throughout the day, i think he is eating, drinking and pooping normally. When i received the hens i put them in a separate home for a day but then i was yelled at by my stepdad. He threw them in the pen with my other chickens a day after i got them. When i went and checked on my rooster earlier, he wouldn’t crow. I think it may hurt him but i tried to mimick him as best as i could and he still would crow back at me. I picked him up and set him on my lap and i did notice that his nose seemed a little stuffed. He had sneezed twice while i was there and was making a low rumbling noise. It was almost like a purr. I tried uploading a video and it wouldn’t let me. He seemed perfectly normal besides all the things i listed.

You can upload your video to YouTube or something similar then post a link here.

Back
Top Bottom