Rooster bloody tail, loosing tail feathers. Help needed..

rh18

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
My 8 months old rooster is loosing his tail feathers and has blood clotting in his tail.
This is the pic when he had normal tail.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.
8 months old rooster. Everything normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Loosing tail feathers and blood clotting on quill.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Has clotting since one month. Loosing feathers since two weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Bleeding in tail feathers.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating and drinking fine.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing yet.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Anyone has any idea what caused it? Is there any treatment? Any advice?
Any help will be highly appreciated.

To me it looks like his feathers are being pulled out. Is he in a pen with another rooster or even aggressive hens? I don't see mites or eggs in the picture but I would also examine him closely for mites

He's getting plucked by another bird would be my first guess. I see no evidence of bugs and you should be able to see that considering how white and clean he is overall. I am betting someone is getting after him on the roosts. He had no run-ins with dogs? Dogs will often grab birds by the tail and yank out feathers in play. It's fun for the dog, but less so for the chicken.

I agree, it looks like he's being picked on. Do you have any other roosters, or have you seen any hens picking at his tail feathers? It doesn't look like he has mites-- if he did, you'd see black debris in the feathers, and very likely some crawling around.

Back
Top Bottom