Rooster attacked by dog; multiple symptoms (please help)

zoe_jo

Hatching
Aug 9, 2017
Yesterday our speckled sussex rooster (a little over a year, under 10 lbs) was attacked by the neighbors dog. All of his tail feathers were almost ripped off, he had 2 puncture wounds above his left wing (not very deep, but a puncture). Some skin loss to his back side. We cleaned him up with soapy warm water, rinsed him off, applied some hydrogen peroxide and neosporin to the damaged areas. We've been keeping him isolated since the attack. His comb was purple a few hours after the attack, but turned back to red. He isn't able to jump up to perch (he'll fall if he tries), and is extremely lethargic. He can walk, and sit. He wasn't drinking water, so we force-fed him water with an eyedropper. He started to drink on his own and look a bit better, but his poop is nuclear green with black (mostly liquid), and now his right eye won't open. He's currently hiding in a make-shift towel shelter. We made a mash for him this morning but I don't believe he's been eating. I'm not sure if it's internal injuries, infection (bowels or respiratory). I was hoping someone could offer some words of advice. Thank you

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.
Could you post a few pictures of the wounds and poop, if possible.

Water is very important, you have got to get him hydrated.
Be careful when you are putting water in his mouth, if it goes down the wrong way he can die.
Tube feeding is a pretty safe way to get him hydrated.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.
Could you post a few pictures of the wounds and poop, if possible.

Water is very important, you have got to get him hydrated.
Be careful when you are putting water in his mouth, if it goes down the wrong way he can die.
Tube feeding is a pretty safe way to get him hydrated.

Thank you so much for the reply. We're very careful about water-feeding, I'm an Animal Science major, and have had to water-feed in the past. Unfortunately water-feeding, injections, major diseases, and blood draw are the only concrete chicken knowledge I posses (other than regular daily care). I took a few pictures of the stool and of his back-end, but he wouldn't let me get a good shot of the puncture wounds. I didn't want to stress him out more so, as we already handled him quite a bit today with the water-feeding and re-application of hydrogen-peroxide and neosporin. I just feel so bad for him.
Here are the photos:
(the poop has dried, but it was extremely green, and almost 95% liquid)

Attachments

• chicken poop.jpg
    chicken poop.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 175
  • squiggs 2.jpg
    squiggs 2.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 183
  • squiggs.jpg
    squiggs.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 182
HI @zoe_jo Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster.

How is he today?

Do your best to get him drinking, the poop is concerning, but hopefully it's from stress of being attacked.
For the wounds, if you need to, cut/trim some of the feathers away so you can monitor them more closely and keep the wounds cleaner. Peroxide can be good to initially clean a wound, but repeated use, imho, damages the skin, so if you need to clean the wounds again use saline or diluted betadine. Neosporin works very well.

A chicken that has been attacked can go into shock, getting him hydrated is good, plain water or electrolytes can be given - if you don't have poultry electrolytes you can offer watered down gatorade. After a day switch to poultry vitamins to give him a boost.
Once he is drinking, see if he will eat for you. Chopped egg is usually well received.

Keep us posted.

He was crowing this morning. And some small clucks. He came out of his towel cave and started walking around the small room we have him in. His eye was shut closed (picture 1) when I first got out to see him (it was also closed like this since 8pm last night). But he opened it briefly, however it's shut again. His poop is also worrying me (picture 2). I'm going to give him some Gatorade until we can get chicken electrolytes. His wounds seem to be scabbing over. I was wondering if probiotics would be beneficial, or if they could potentially make his stool worse.

Attachments

• 20170810_103801.jpg
    20170810_103801.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170810_104059.jpg
    20170810_104059.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 159
Antibiotic (oxytet from TSC, etc) is probably still a very good idea. With punctures esp.

What's the plan with that dog?

(Had a fox attacked pullet, I credit antibiotics for saving her. After reading that recommendation here!)

The dog is our neighbors adopted shelter dog. They have a flock for their own, which is where the Rooster that was attacked lives. But he was mine originally. Unfortunately her dog killed one of her Americana hens, and two are still missing. Do you have any recommendations about what name antibiotics I should try? Also would they be available at a feed store...
Thanks!

Antibiotics
Vitamins A-Z (b12 shot recommend)
Elevate his protein some
And keep his water cool. Will post more in one sec on jobsite! And sorry to hear I just rescued a rooster that's been attacked! I'm currently regenerating him as well!

For the eye, flush with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel.

The poop is concerning.....Green poop can be an indication of infection, not eating (starvation) and sometimes worms or coccidiosis overload - getting the poop tested by your vet would be a very good idea. If he has infection, getting a prescription would be your best way to go. For wounds, Penicillin is a fairly good choice, look in the refrigerated section of feed stores like Tractor Supply. Alternatively, some people do use injectable Tylan50 which Tractor Supply carries, it more commonly used for respiratory illness. Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection. Penicillin is injection only.

For my Leghorn hen it was crush and puncture. Found her in dead chicken position... after the shock wore off..24 hrs? she would eat and drink, chick crumbles wet with oxytet water. She had to be in a sling for a few weeks. My best layer now.
So sounds like your roo is in good shape. He has the will to live.
They heal fast. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom