River Gravel in Chicken Pen?

chickieduck

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
Hey everyone! So, I am about to completely remodel my chicken pen. New location, bigger, new coop, etc. One thing I want to change is to do something about the duck pool. I have a larger kiddie pool I’m going to use, but with more water, comes more wetness and the possibility of mildew(which we have unfortunately had happen before). To stop that, I wanted to use river gravel underneath and around the pool to allow better drainage. It will only be in the area of the pool, the rest of the run floor will consist of dirt (and grass until they eat it all). I plan to use river gravel because it is smoother and won’t cut their feet or cause bumble foot. I just wanted to be sure this won’t be dangerous or a choking hazard, as I’ve never had gravel in a run. Does anyone know how safe this is or what size gravel to get so it is safe?

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Gravel can collect poop and become very nasty.
What's the general drainage status of the area?
Gravel might help under the pool if the area under slopes away.
You have both ducks and chickens?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @chickieduck
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1658061911432.png

Hey everyone! So, I am about to completely remodel my chicken pen. New location, bigger, new coop, etc. One thing I want to change is to do something about the duck pool. I have a larger kiddie pool I’m going to use, but with more water, comes more wetness and the possibility of mildew(which we have unfortunately had happen before). To stop that, I wanted to use river gravel underneath and around the pool to allow better drainage. It will only be in the area of the pool, the rest of the run floor will consist of dirt (and grass until they eat it all). I plan to use river gravel because it is smoother and won’t cut their feet or cause bumble foot. I just wanted to be sure this won’t be dangerous or a choking hazard, as I’ve never had gravel in a run. Does anyone know how safe this is or what size gravel to get so it is safe?

Any advice would help. Thanks!
I was told to use Delaware river 3/8 pea gravel. That's what I'm going to use around my water area and drinking area. The mud is so bad. I need better drainage.

Back
Top Bottom