Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Absolutely stunning ! I Especially like the green breasted one. What kind of ring neck is he ?
It's one of many of the True pheasants, a Southern Green pheasant or (Phasianus versicolor versicolor). They are endemic to Japan.
Also in the group is P. versicolor tanensis or Pacific Green pheasant and P. versicolor robustipes or Northern Green pheasant.
The last bird is a P.c. straunhi or Straunh's pheasant. They are in the 'Gray-rumped Group' of True pheasants. The first bird appears to be Phasianus colchicus torquatus or the ubiquitous Chinese Ring-necked Pheasant, also in the Gray-rumped Group.

Appears to be a cross, Yellow Golden and ? Maybe even a Peach splash but doesn't have enough white to be a peach splash! So Idk?

Well, she's really pretty, whatever breed she is.

What modifications do I need to make to be sure she's well-cared for? She seems to love the fermented chicken food I use, and I've been tossing out dried meal worms for her so she has a little more protein. She doesn't go inside the coop at night with the chickens and we live in IL, so do I need to give her a pile of leaves or something to stay warm at night?

I have a 6'x6' coop with about 18" of hiding space underneath, attached to a 6'x12'x8' (the 8' is how tall it is) entirely closed in run. There is a nice branch a few feet off the ground in the run. I saw her sleeping on the branch one night, but haven't figured out where she's spent the other nights. There is an automatic pop door (based on a daylight sensor) that leads out into our 45' diameter fenced-in garden. Maybe she's staying in the garden overnight? There are lots of great places to hunker down among the dead grasses and other plants (I didn't weed this summer). The garden is open above, and the 6' tall fence around it is chicken wire at the bottom but turns to much larger fencing that a pheasant could easily escape through about half way up. It's mostly to dissuade the deer.

I know she can leave if she wants to, but I'm hoping that the steady supply of food will keep her around. She's about as flightly as my flightier chickens, but definitely not acting like a wild pheasant.

Well, she's really pretty, whatever breed she is.

What modifications do I need to make to be sure she's well-cared for? She seems to love the fermented chicken food I use, and I've been tossing out dried meal worms for her so she has a little more protein. She doesn't go inside the coop at night with the chickens and we live in IL, so do I need to give her a pile of leaves or something to stay warm at night?

I have a 6'x6' coop with about 18" of hiding space underneath, attached to a 6'x12'x8' (the 8' is how tall it is) entirely closed in run. There is a nice branch a few feet off the ground in the run. I saw her sleeping on the branch one night, but haven't figured out where she's spent the other nights. There is an automatic pop door (based on a daylight sensor) that leads out into our 45' diameter fenced-in garden. Maybe she's staying in the garden overnight? There are lots of great places to hunker down among the dead grasses and other plants (I didn't weed this summer). The garden is open above, and the 6' tall fence around it is chicken wire at the bottom but turns to much larger fencing that a pheasant could easily escape through about half way up. It's mostly to dissuade the deer.

I know she can leave if she wants to, but I'm hoping that the steady supply of food will keep her around. She's about as flightly as my flightier chickens, but definitely not acting like a wild pheasant.
As long as they have a dry, draft free place, they can withstand extreme cold weather. Most pheasants prefer to roost on the ground or on perches as high above the ground as they can get or is available in your enclosure.

DSCN7145.JPG
DSCN7054.JPG
DSCN7169.JPG
DSCN7146.JPG
DSCN7035.JPG
DSCN7127.JPG
DSCN7149.JPG

Last edited:
I raised pheasants as a 4-H project when I was a youngster & have just gotten back into it. I currently have 1 rooster & 5 hens. The hens are laying and I'm making my first effort at incubating the eggs. My roosters' name is 'Cogburn'.
100_0249.JPG

Thank You. He likes to look good for his 'girls'. I took a shovel & turned a lot of the dirt in their pen today, exposing hundreds of earthworms. He had such a beakful that he could hardly 'talk', but I could tell he was happy. When he is happy he has a quiet chatter that he does. It almost seems like he's trying to communicate. Probably saying "What took you so long to come up with this idea?" As of this evening there are 32 eggs in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom