Red golden pheasant breeding problems

kamad

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016
Hi.
I just got a pair of red golden phesants (4 days ago). I put them in a covered pen 9ft×5ft . The male lost most of his tail feathers during transport.
The male is running around the pen but the female is keeping away from him and stays on the branch. Is that normal behaviour.

[/IMG]

Kamad, could you possibly take a better picture? I enlarged/zoom the pic, and it appears, to me at least, what you think is a hen, actually looks like a juvenile male to me. The reddish color of the head. That could be the reason it's on the branch...to stay away from the other male, it's getting bullyed.

Not only is it a male,but they look to be  crossed with something.
In N.H.,Tony.
Yeah, I noticed that too! The one on the branch appears to have Amherst in it, blue/ gray legs and the white breast, the other one certainly isn't a pure golden. That's why I asked for a better picture.

Hi.
I just got a pair of red golden phesants (4 days ago). I put them in a covered pen 9ft×5ft . The male lost most of his tail feathers during transport.
The male is running around the pen but the female is keeping away from him and stays on the branch. Is that normal behaviour.

[/URL]
I would return to the seller and tell him you wanted a pair not 2 males,and also ask him what they are crossed with.I personally would return both birds and demand my money back,they are not what you wanted and I'm sure the seller knew they were not a pair.If seller did not know they were 2 males,maybe he should not sell them until he is 100% sure what sex they are.
In N.H.,Tony.

Another classic example of a seller, taking advantage of someone who doesn't know the difference between "pure" birds and a cross. So buyer has crossbred birds, hatches some and and sells them as "pure". Perpetuating the dilution of pure bloodlines. If they were a responsible breeder/ seller, they would inform the buyer they weren't pure but I guess $$$$ signs cloud their mind. Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack your thread kamad! Tony's right, take'm back, get your $ back. Do some research, and buy from a reputable breeder.

Thanks guys. Ill make a better picture of the one on the branch and upload it

Back
Top Bottom