Really sick hen!! Letharhic, not eating, not laying

SJN1982

Hatching
Apr 27, 2024
I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what could be going on with my hen. She is a 4 to 5 year old olive egger. Her name is Olive. She had lice really bad and also a canker in her throat. She had stopped eating and drinking. I treated the lice with Elector PSP and got antibiotics for the canker. I assumed she wasn't eating because of the canker. Well the lice and canker are gone, but she is still not eating or drinking and sleeps the entire day. We've had her in a box inside for about a week. I have been torpedo feeding her and giving her water by syringe. I'm also giving her 3ml a day of Rooster Booster. I also did a few days of prebiotic and electrolytes in her water. Since she wasn't getting better, I had a fecal test done for parasites. Came back clean. I have an appt Monday with the vet, but hoping someone might have a guess as to what might be going on. At first I thought she might just be super weak from the lice and from not eating/drinking from the canker. But the fact that those are gone and she has absolutely no interest I'm trying to eat or drink, makes me think there's something else going on. Someone help! She seems so miserable!

Olive :(

Attachments

• 20240506_185634.jpg
    20240506_185634.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1
Oh! I should add that her comb still has good color and her poop looks normal. Nothing coming from her nose or anything. Her breathing sounds normal. She constantly keeps her mouth slightly open, which I assumed again was from the canker but she's still doing it now that it's gone.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what could be going on with my hen. She is a 4 to 5 year old olive egger. Her name is Olive. She had lice really bad and also a canker in her throat. She had stopped eating and drinking. I treated the lice with Elector PSP and got antibiotics for the canker. I assumed she wasn't eating because of the canker. Well the lice and canker are gone, but she is still not eating or drinking and sleeps the entire day. We've had her in a box inside for about a week. I have been torpedo feeding her and giving her water by syringe. I'm also giving her 3ml a day of Rooster Booster. I also did a few days of prebiotic and electrolytes in her water. Since she wasn't getting better, I had a fecal test done for parasites. Came back clean. I have an appt Monday with the vet, but hoping someone might have a guess as to what might be going on. At first I thought she might just be super weak from the lice and from not eating/drinking from the canker. But the fact that those are gone and she has absolutely no interest I'm trying to eat or drink, makes me think there's something else going on. Someone help! She seems so miserable!
We went through the same sick looking bout with Beakie last fall. Vet said she has cancer and I could euth or wait till I find her toes-up some morning. She wasn’t in pain so I decided to wait. Two days later she was up and at’em and has been FINE, thank you, ever since. Apparently 4 years old is a typical time for the ladies to get cancer 😞 I’ve had some go into their teens so I was shocked. Now, 6 months later, I think she’s broody-all fluffed out, staying in the box all day. When I take away her fake egg, she rolls it right underneath herself again. I have just put her in a broody box so we’ll see. I hope your friend gets better fast!

We went through the same sick looking bout with Beakie last fall. Vet said she has cancer and I could euth or wait till I find her toes-up some morning. She wasn’t in pain so I decided to wait. Two days later she was up and at’em and has been FINE, thank you, ever since. Apparently 4 years old is a typical time for the ladies to get cancer 😞 I’ve had some go into their teens so I was shocked. Now, 6 months later, I think she’s broody-all fluffed out, staying in the box all day. When I take away her fake egg, she rolls it right underneath herself again. I have just put her in a broody box so we’ll see. I hope your friend gets better fast!
I was a little worried it might be cancer. She does seem miserable. How did the vet determine that? Blood test? Scan?

Back
Top Bottom