Raw fish.

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
I saw a few things about being able to feed my girls raw fish, but nothing about deboning them. Does anyone know if that should be done or can I throw it in whole, head and all? Going to be giving them a trout if that makes any difference.

Tyia

I've heard that too. Overload of omega 3's can do that to eggs. I don't really feed my chickens fish for that reason.
I know for sure when wild mallards eat a lot of salmon eggs in the fall it makes their meat taste terrible .... I can't imagine it wouldn't/doesn't do the same for chicken eggs. My hens don't get any more fish scraps. LOL!

I know for sure when wild mallards eat a lot of salmon eggs in the fall it makes their meat taste terrible .... I can't imagine it wouldn't/doesn't do the same for chicken eggs. My hens don't get any more fish scraps. LOL!
right! occasionally I'll give mine a little bit of fish like tuna scraps or sardines if I get a tin that I happen to not like or something but i haven't ever given them enough to make any difference in their egg quality. I remember back before I had chickens I was buying organic eggs from a local farm and although they tasted fine they did have an odd smell to them - not a "bad" smell but something just seemed weird to me about it. I suspect now it could be omega 3 related. I know they would make their own feed too so who knows if it was loaded up with fish meal or what.

Back
Top Bottom